Source 4 Colorsource and EDLT Tubes

Bryson

I'm looking at buying some Colorsource lekos (profiles, natch). The literature "suggests" EDLT tubes but the use I'm putting them to (sidelight tips wash, soft focus) doesn't require a super-hard edge. Do I really need the EDLTs? I don't want to spend the money on a feature I wont use, but neither do I want to ignore the advice and end up with weird colour fringing or something similar.

So. EDLTs vs Regular tubes on a Colorsource leko: Needed, or no?

I have just had the ColorSource and Prolights eclipseFC units on demo, and both are recommended to be used with either EDLT or Prolights lenses, due to the coating on the lenses, according to the salesperson

Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to see them with a standard lens.

As an aside, it is worth looking at the Prolights offering. I thought that side by side with the ColorSource, the eclipseFC was the better unit.

We have some Lustr 2's with standard tubes...they work fine for us- if I was being picky, there's a tiny bit of colour fringing sometimes (only really noticeable in open white), but this can be dealt with using a light frost. Maybe someone with an EDLT tube can tell us if this happens on their units too?

Standard lenses work fine as long as your not using gobos.

This is my experience too. I've used Lustr 2s and Lustr 1s with and without EDLT and with and without gobos -- you're fine without EDLT if you're going to use any kind of frost, although obviously EDLT tubes have better optics so you get more light out of the end with those.

Archived