Projectors

Gwion

I know there are numerous posts on "what projectors", but please bear with me!

We are looking at possibilities of doing some projection work in our public foyer spaces, and would welcome people's comments on their experiences.

We have a Christie DHD951-Q 1DLP projector in the theatre which we're happy with, but the public foyer spaces needs a lot more cick, allthough we've had success' with the Christie in low light conditions.

The biggest problem with the foyer spaces will be the ammount of natural light comming in.

Projection projects will therefore be restricted to low natural light times, unless we can afford projectors to beat all the sunlight we get in North Wales!

Can someone point me in the direction of a really strong projector that could cope with at least some natural light. we're looking at possibly three to projection map different sutfaces.

Software.

We use Q lab in the theatre, and I've used a number of Arkaos products.

Thinking of looking at Millumin and MX Wendler Stage Designer as well. Isadora or Max might not have the ease of use we'd be looking for. Possibly...

Thoughts on projectors would be welcome, especially long term running costs and hybrid projectors that could help keep these down.

Costs are obviously a huge consideration, but one source of funding is really keen on seeing the project come to fruition.

Content would be made open to contributations from digital artists, along with marketing materials.

Cheers!

Hello,

Have you any more information on the size of surface you are trying to cover ?

As a good starting point have a look at the Epson 1505 units or panasonic RZ970's these are both laser units so for longevity in an installation they are ideal.

Milumin would be an option, Max MSP would take some programming but I wouldn't completely rule this option out (depending on budget) there are a lot of media servers out there too that would be able to handle this.

Im afraid though natural light will wash out projection, so if it is a display surface for marketing materials during day light hours display panels and a media player may be the more cost effective solution.

Hello,

Have you any more information on the size of surface you are trying to cover ?

As a good starting point have a look at the Epson 1505 units or panasonic RZ970's these are both laser units so for longevity in an installation they are ideal.

Milumin would be an option, Max MSP would take some programming but I wouldn't completely rule this option out (depending on budget) there are a lot of media servers out there too that would be able to handle this.

Im afraid though natural light will wash out projection, so if it is a display surface for marketing materials during day light hours display panels and a media player may be the more cost effective solution.

Thank you. I'll post a link to a video of a project we did with Students from Guildhall late last year. My link It's a multi surface area, hence the need for 3 projectors (and a variety of lenses).

It's more than just marketing though, and will have bespoke work from artists responding to the surface and template.

This is the kind od stuff we do, and its impossible to make informed suggestions without knowing more about the location. We are Panasonic users and id start at a rz970 and work up from there budget allowing, whats worrying is a reasonably new christie 8k unit only just works, that tells me that there needs to be some thought, as its generally better to limit the natural light or alter lighting than increase the size of projector hammer.

If its installed bespoke artworks, you dont really need anything other than brightsigns networked synced as id expect that artwork would be built to templates and what you need is a reliable way of playing it back over multiple displays in an automated manner. We have an instal in a foyer with a couple of dozen frame synced displays all running from reasonably inexpensive brightsign hd units.

if you were to offer vague sizes of images, suggestions could be made. Id suggest a minimum of 300 lux in dark conditions and that means that a 10k projector cant go much wider than 25 feet across, so add ambient / day;light to that and the image sizes need to come right down....

Archived