Old dimmer power requirements

DarkDerp

Hi all, having a bit of an issue working out a rackI've started working in a new building, and have come across a dimmer rack that no longer functions. It's made up of 6 old Anytronics D1205 dimmers, the old model with fuses on the front not breakers. Each dimmer is hardwired to the rig to 15A sockets.

The feed to the rack is single phase 63A, 240v, but each dimmer alone should be fed this according to the spec sheet. This 63A fed six breakers, then on to each dimmer pack. The dimmers are single or three phase, depending on internal wiring. Ours are wired to single phase. According to other people who have been here longer, this rack once worked. We are now relying on temporary mobile dimmers and socapex to the rig

I'd like to know if this setup is possible to get working again from an electrical perspective. My instinct says it should never have worked the way it did, but I'm not sure.

If it is possible, then I'll get to work repairing the dimmers themselves.

Many thanks

A 63 amp single phase supply into a rack containing a number of dimmers will be fine provided that the user understands that the dimmers can not all be used to full capacity at the same time.

63 amps is about 15KW, so the total load must not exceed this, say 30 lanterns each of 500 watts. A greater load than 15KW may be connected provided that great care is taken not to light more than 15KW of lamps at any one time.

It is very common practice for the supply into a dimmer rack to be less than the total capacity of all the dimmer channels.

As this equipment has been unused for some time it would be prudent to have both the dimmer rack and the 63 amp single phase supply thereto examined by an experienced electrician before any attempted use.

Thanks for your replies, I think we have less than 15kW in the rig, but it'll never all be on at once.

I'll get these dimmers serviced then, and we should be able to put them back and working.

Thanks for your help!

If you want someone to come and have a quick look at your dimmers, give me a shout, we are based in Birmingham too.

If there are any faults with the dimmers themselves, it will probably be individual channels. Whatever faults there are, you have lots of spare capacity, so could probably canibalise one rack to get yourself some spares.

Just to be clear here:

...but each dimmer alone should be fed this according to the spec sheet.

That's not what the dimmer needs to be fed, it is what it can be fed to get the maximum load through the dimmer. It can be fed with a supply of a lot less capability, as long as one doesn't try to draw a total of more than the supply.

Everyone here will have run one or more dimmers that "want" 63 amps each off a single 13A plug.

Just to be clear here:

...but each dimmer alone should be fed this according to the spec sheet.

That's not what the dimmer needs to be fed, it is what it can be fed to get the maximum load through the dimmer. It can be fed with a supply of a lot less capability, as long as one doesn't try to draw a total of more than the supply.

Everyone here will have run one or more dimmers that "want" 63 amps each off a single 13A plug.

Indeed.

Archived