Followspot

Neil_m_123

Over panto this year we noticed that Followspot brightness really has to go up, because the stage lighting is getting brighter. The old notion that you always have a scene or two in full up seems to have gone and you can now have bright AND colourful scene all the time - 1200W discharge is not bright enough unless the follow spot position is close, and even 1800W discharge is only just good enough - and if you do have the LED version of a full up, then even 1800W has trouble cutting through. Last year I tried a couple of LED followspots and they were not really bright enough, but each month, it seems, the light levels are going up.

I'm not sure there is an LED equivalent to a 1200W HMI yet, but it will come.

I guess partly it's that scenes with saturated colours are becoming brighter because the adoption of LED means you can so you do if you see what I mean. Saurated primaries would have taken a lot of the output with gels, but with LED you aren't taking away light so you can get much stronger colours. Think how much blue out put you can get from a decent LED compared to say a PAR with congo or tokyo.

The actual fixtures Simon. LED sources seem to be on the up, power wise, up to 350W now on some of the new LED ones. The LD wanted the followspots to be very obvious in some scenes, and 1800W discharge was only just there. When one died and they used a 1200W backup (Both RJ) the 1200W didn't cut it at all - yet fro panto just two years ago, two 1200W units were perfectly fine. The number of LED sources has increased, and this has had a big impact. I'm always amazed at just how bright LED now is. 90W movers making old 575W discharge sources look dim.

The actual fixtures Simon. LED sources seem to be on the up, power wise, up to 350W now on some of the new LED ones. The LD wanted the followspots to be very obvious in some scenes, and 1800W discharge was only just there. When one died and they used a 1200W backup (Both RJ) the 1200W didn't cut it at all - yet fro panto just two years ago, two 1200W units were perfectly fine. The number of LED sources has increased, and this has had a big impact. I'm always amazed at just how bright LED now is. 90W movers making old 575W discharge sources look dim.

Surely that's just a plotting issue though, you don't have to run everything at max when you are designing the show (although I can understand the temptation to do so). I think it is Francis Reid's stage lighting book that says you set the audience's expectation for the look of the show in the first few minutes, if you go in with bright saturated colours then the audience will not notice anything subtle further in, whereas if you start with gentle pastel colours at half intensity they will accept that as "normal" - and your followspots will cut through.

Yep - it's perfectly possible to run everything dimmer, but the popular deep blue wash that can now be done can be amazing bright. You could pull back the master until the followspots can cope, but then you could have always bought 650W Fresnels rather than 1Ks, couldn't you? I tend to think that Francis's old advice made sense, but while he did do this quite frequently with his real love, Opera, he wasn't adverse to blasting away when he could in panto. As an example, this year I often had to arrange curtain down photo sessions with the cast, and finding bright white/light states I could use was quite difficult - most of the show was bright colours - blues and pinks predominating. Same thing with the focus - far less wash and more much smaller areas contributing to the 'whole'. It actually made the show video easier too as the lens on the camera spent most time between f5.6 and f8, which makes focus much easier - although here again, problems arise with the followspots because instead of burning out the images as they used to do, they couldn't actually be seen in some scenes. I'm also wondering if the extra brightness makes watching less tiring on the eyes as with higher levels comes less need to constantly refocus your eyes in the same way that camera sharp focus is easier with higher levels.

Archived