Large power cut in central London

adam2

affected postcodes: IG2 7,IG3 9,W11 3,W16 5,W1B 3,W1B 4,W1B 5,W1D 6,W1D 7,W1F 0,W1F 7,W1F 9,W1J 0,W1J 9,W1R 3,W1R 4,W1R 5,W1R 6,W1R 7,W1V 1,W1V 3,W1V 7,WC1N 3,WC2H 7

Reason for the power cut: An underground electricity cable has faulted on our high voltage network, causing an area wide power cut.

ETA to it coming back is 9pm

Theatres including the Palace, Gielgud and Prince Edward have all been without power.

Aladdin and Curious Incident have all confirmed tonight's shows will be cancelled. More shows are expected not to go ahead this evening and venues are asking patrons to contact their point of purchase for ticket refunds.

Despite previously announcing tonight's performance has been cancelled, Thriller will now run at 8.30pm.

Advice at this stage is to contact the theatres in Soho and the West End ahead of tonight's shows to check they are still going ahead.

UK Power Networks have tweeted that engineers expect to have power restored between 8.30 and 9.30 tonight. Some power has already been restored in parts of the area.

http://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/west-end-shows-cancelled-due-to-power-black-out-_42351.html

Photos at

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/soho-power-cut-parts-of-central-london-plunged-into-darkness-after-electricity-outage-a3405391.html

It looks rather lovely. I almost wish I was there, but I'm glad I'm not.

That's the joys of how electricity distribution networks work!

It does seem odd how it's widespread and yet clearly some power is still on in many areas because many of the photos have streetlights but no building lights of vice versa. What happened to N-1 redundancy for 33kV and above? Even if an 11kV multi-ring is out, why would it hit so many places (and be so slow to restore - should only need three switching ops).

Or UKPN anyway............ Its sane in other places ;)

Oh yes!

I'm not familiar with the London network, being in Bristol myself. An 11kV fault would be a ring, so a damaged section of cable can quickly be isolated, and wouldn't be over such a large area.

At 33kV it depends how they have the connections running, as a ring or as radials.

I wonder how their 60 minute restoration is going on...

heh, There is a guy out there, old chap, who has been around forever. He now contracts to UKPN when they are busy, as he has retired. He turned up to site once in a dressing gown and slippers to make a call to the switching center to say "yeah, go on then". Will never forget him - funny as hell. Earned more when he was retired than when he was working.

Vertical video. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: Arrrrrrrgggghhhhhh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA :)

Archived