Old Telephones

Spock

I need to get hold of a few metres of cloth covered cable to replace the plastic cable on a 'modern' candle-stick telephone. The telephone does not have to work afterwards, this is just to try and make it look authentic. Does any one have any old lengths or know where I could get hold of some?

I had thought of covering the existing cable in a cloth or fibre-glass braid, but I don't think it will look too realistic.

Thanks in advance...

Guest Cpt_P

Make it nice and long. Seems obvious I know, but when doing 'My Fair Lady' with Crediton ODS, during 'A Hymn to Him', I was leaning over the Fat Frog desperately trying to stop Colonel Pickering from pulling the cable out of the booth and having it dangling by his hydraulics

Edited for punctuation

Guest Cpt_P

Good good. Just briefly and :) so I will probably get a telling off from the mods, what show were you doing?

Edit: Cretin

• 3 weeks later...
I need to get hold of a few metres of cloth covered cable to replace the plastic ...

I know you've already solved the problem, Spock, but for anyone else with the same question in future, may I suggest buying a length of the electrical cord that is used for irons, (like you use to iron your knickers). They're still made with a cloth covering, at least here in Australia.

They're usually a light gray colour, but you can easily "paint" them with a thick black felt-tipped pen. It takes a few minutes, but it works well.

While I'm on the topic of old telephones, I've recently bought an old black bakelite phone form an "antiques" shop. I'd like to make it capable of ringing on stage, perhaps by remote control. If anyone can suggest how, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

There are kits available that will ring a standard phone. Maplins might sell one.

Add a phone cable power supply and a switch and you'll be fine. That is if your bakelite phone still has its guts intact.

It still has its guts, J, but as to whether or not they are still workable, I don't know. Might get it checked out by Telstra. I don't know Maplins, I'm in Australia.

Thanks, J.

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound like a strange suggestion... But you can get remote door bell ringers that make a telephone like ringing sound... Whats to stop you rippin out the guts of you're phone and putting the reciever inside the phone with the door bell in the box or promt desk-where ever it may be... You can get them at most large DIY stores.

Just an idea and ofcourse it depends on how distant your receiver needs to be from the ringer...

Becks xx

This might sound like a strange suggestion...  But you can get remote door bell ringers that make a telephone like ringing sound...  Whats to stop you rippin out the guts of you're phone and putting the reciever inside the phone with the door bell in the box or promt desk-where ever it may be...  You can get them at most large DIY stores.

Just an idea and ofcourse it depends on how distant your receiver needs to be from the ringer...

Becks xx

That's an idea, RG. It would work okay where I'm using it, because we're a pretty small theatre. I'll check them out.

Thanks.

Archived