DI's

benge

I'm looking into getting some DIs...... not sure which one are better..... I've used both but only for short periods of time..... I'm after ones that can be jumped / drop and ones that can still work..... Also wot do u all think of the rackmount DI's?

With Thanks

Ben

My general rule of thumb is active for pickups (guitars etc.) and passive for line level stuff (keys, amp line outs etc).

The EMO DIs are good passives. I like the BSS active DIs but they aren't cheap.

Rackmount DIs aren't useful unless you have a load of kit (video playback, CD players) etc which need DIing in one place. They are a hassle to use on a stage because you need to run extra cable everywhere (and some pickups really are best with short cable runs on them)

My general rule of thumb is active for pickups (guitars etc.) and passive for line level stuff (keys, amp line outs etc).

The EMO DIs are good passives. I like the BSS active DIs but they aren't cheap.

Rackmount DIs aren't useful unless you have a load of kit (video playback, CD players) etc which need DIing in one place. They are a hassle to use on a stage because you need to run extra cable everywhere (and some pickups really are best with short cable runs on them)

Ahh, you learn something new everyday. I've got some EMOs that I use for everything, but in truth, I'd not realized that there are advantages to active design (I'd only seen batteries going flat as a disadvantage).

The case on the EMO is practically indestructible. You may want to keep them away from drummers though... :(

I'd agree to Ian's comments.

I use MTR DI-3's (single channel Active DI) and MTR DI-2 (dual Channel active DI)

I also have one of those IMG Stageline Rackmountable 4 channel passive DI's which, I usually use on BASS gtrs and Keys. Though that means I'm generally placing keys and bass gtr fairly near to each other on stage, to get out of the problem of having to run long cables everywhere.

Si

IMO, as said above, active for things like acoustic/electic bass, guitars, violins, chello... you get the picture. Anything with a pickup. And passive for anything else.

Mind you, at work we use the Countryman active DIs. Great units. Expensive though. The BSS AR-133 is pretty rugged, with a good sound in my opinion.

I agree with the others. If you want something that is active and very good value for money, you can't go much wrong with this Behringer DI:

http://www.behringer.com/DI100/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Yes, it does look like the BSS one but that's Behringer for you :D

Some keyboards can be a little 'hot' on their outputs and instead of getting the muso to turn down the master output on the keyboard (it's too easy for them to turn it up in the heat of a gig!) use the attenuator on the DI box then you won't get a nasty clipping signal going to the desk. This applies more to keyboards like the Roland VK-7 which uses drawbars on the organ sounds.

Rackmounts are fine for multiple keyboard set-ups but can get a bit messy with loads of mic cables going to the stagebox, so use an XLR - XLR loom to keep things a bit tidier.

I've got some EMOs that I use for everything, but in truth, I'd not realized that there are advantages to active design (I'd only seen batteries going flat as a disadvantage).

Make sure you buy an active DI that runs off phantom power. Batteries become less of an issue then.

Countryman Active DI are the best you can get however at £150 each not for everyone, the nearest are probably KT (copied from Countryman??)

Both of these are fairly bullet proof, my Countryman's have got me out of many difficult situations.

Ian

I use the BSS AR-133 all of the time and these are virtually indestructible for build quality and switch mechanisms. And they have all of the functions you need. The only downside is the expensive price tag!!

At the other end of the scale the Behringer copy works pretty much the same but these boxes seem quite flimsy!

Just out of interest - why do people prefer passive DIs on keys and bass? I just use 4 BSS active DIs for everything I need DIing, do passive ones give a better sound?

The only reason I'd use a passive is if I don't need to use an active. I think it was Ian that described where Actives need to be used, and where you can get away with not using them.

Archived