Safety bonds on my Stagg Headbangers 10.

Alexlighting101

Hi, before you start I know they are cheap lights (budget's been cut) does anyone have a suggestion of how to attach a safety bond to the mount of this light once hung, as a rule in our theatre it must be attached by there is no point to attach on this light. Any suggestions. Have attached picture not great but may be easier if you Google 'Stagg Headbangers 10'. Cheers.

maxresdefault.jpg

I see in the manual "• If you install the light in a hanging position, always use a suitable mounting position and a clamp or screw that is strong enough to hold the product without stress. Always use a safety wire to secure the light." but the problem is that their bracket is secured by two screws, so the screws need to be secured using a thread locker such as LOCTITE to make sure the screws will not come out. Otherwise the bracket is not a secure mountning point.

On my budget movers, I open the base up and securely fix a separate mounting point for the safety wire, like these Eye Plate as the ring or eye is not split.

Just noted that the one I linked to has "Not rated for lifting purposes" in the specs, so make sure you get one rated for lifting purposes. Here is Another selection of eye plates that need checking for specs.

Assuming it has that bracket as pictured, can't you attach the bond to one of the other holes in the bracket? It's fixed with 2 screws so there would be no single failure point.

That bracket is the most likely thing to give with those screws.

I see in the manual "• If you install the light in a hanging position, always use a suitable mounting position and a clamp or screw that is strong enough to hold the product without stress. Always use a safety wire to secure the light." but the problem is that their bracket is secured by two screws, so the screws need to be secured using a thread locker such as LOCTITE to make sure the screws will not come out. Otherwise the bracket is not a secure mountning point.

On my budget movers, I open the base up and securely fix a separate mounting point for the safety wire, like these Eye Plate as the ring or eye is not split.

Just noted that the one I linked to has "Not rated for lifting purposes" in the specs, so make sure you get one rated for lifting purposes. Here is Another selection of eye plates that need checking for specs.

Like the idea of the eye plates. Not sure about attaching on the mount as you say, bolts are most likely thing to sheer. Thanks for the help.

Even though the plate you linked to is not apparently rated for lifting, you should be fine. It's working load limit is 100 times the weight of one Stagg Headbanger, after all :)

You think the bolts might shear? Really? How big are the bolts holding the bracket? 6mm? If so the shear strength of the bolts will be hundreds of times higher than the weight of the fixture, even taking into account any load imposed by the movement of the fixture. I'm all for safety in theatres, but this seems to be a step too far. Your fixtures weigh less than 3 kilograms each, so securing the bracket bolts and running your safety bond through the bracket will be more than adequate.

Even though the plate you linked to is not apparently rated for lifting, you should be fine. It's working load limit is 100 times the weight of one Stagg Headbanger, after all :)

You think the bolts might shear? Really? How big are the bolts holding the bracket? 6mm? If so the shear strength of the bolts will be hundreds of times higher than the weight of the fixture, even taking into account any load imposed by the movement of the fixture. I'm all for safety in theatres, but this seems to be a step too far. Your fixtures weigh less than 3 kilograms each, so securing the bracket bolts and running your safety bond through the bracket will be more than adequate.

Thanks, I was thinking of doing this anyway but just wanted peoples opinions, mane reason for safety concise is that this theatre is in a school so will be above children's head. Just checking on everyone's thoughts. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Check the underside - I'm fairly sure there's a separate threaded hole you could put an eye bolt in to secure a safety to. Similar arrangement to small moving heads like Showtec phantoms etc. I can pop down to the hall in a bit and check...(I have 8 in my rig myself - great little lights!)

Archived