mac based lighting software

gnomatron

Hi!

Does anyone have recommendations for simple & preferably free mac based lighting software? I have a chamsys dongle already which works ok but I don't really like their software. It would only be used for testing or tiny gigs; OSC and midi input would be nice, Art-net output would be a big plus. I quite liked freestyler last time I tried it but that was a while ago and it's PC only.

I also have a PC and an MA wing and Titan one so I'm not looking for PC based solutions - my mac is my day to day machine and I'd like to be able to do basic lighting testing and such on it.

Jands Vista runs on Mac OSX.

The software is very intuitive and free to download.

You do normally need a channel license dongle to enable permanent data output. Having said this, the software will output data via Ethernet based Artnet, sACN or Pathport, without a license. The only catch is that it will black out for a couple of seconds every 5-8 minutes. I dont think this will be a problem for you though if you just want to flash some rigs through from your day to day Mac.

Give it a go and shout out if you have any questions.

Regards

Jack

Hi!

Does anyone have recommendations for simple & preferably free mac based lighting software? I have a chamsys dongle already which works ok but I don't really like their software. It would only be used for testing or tiny gigs; OSC and midi input would be nice, Art-net output would be a big plus. I quite liked freestyler last time I tried it but that was a while ago and it's PC only.

I also have a PC and an MA wing and Titan one so I'm not looking for PC based solutions - my mac is my day to day machine and I'd like to be able to do basic lighting testing and such on it.

LXConsole is free, and works with Enttec USB DMX Pro interfaces which are inexpensive (as well as ARTnet). I've got on pretty well with it and have used it for small shows where there hasn't been time to programme the house lighting desk. It's quite powerful so worth checking out.

http://lx.claudeheintzdesign.com/lxconsole_about.html

• 2 months later...

Mere days after this topic was started, version 4 of QLab (a popular audio/video/show control application for MacOS) was released which includes lighting support, which is excellent for small shows, especially if you are already used to the way QLab works; I had fun playing with it over the Christmas break. It outputs ARTnet and doesn't directly talk to USB DMX interfaces, although it's apparently possible to hook it up with some extra software: https://www.openlighting.org/ola/ and QLab supports both MIDI and OSC input.

https://figure53.com...on-to-lighting/

The free version is limited to 16 DMX addresses; but they have a flexible/affordable rental option (which is now rent-to-buy, I see!) for the various paid licenses.

Out of interest what are you finding you're not getting along with when using MagicQ?

MagicQ ticks the box for being cross platform having the OSX version as you know. It also comes with 64 fully enabled universes for output via artnet/sACN for free without the need for any expensive dongles/licences.

I notice from your profile you are based in Scotland, if you happen to be visiting PLASA Focus over in Glasgow the week after next we're running various short training sessions at the show from basic to advanced sessions, you'd be more than welcome to come along to one of these or stop by our stand with any questions you have.

See details here.

Hi!

Looking at something similar.

Is it possible to trigger Chamsys from Qlab?

Out of interest what are you finding you're not getting along with when using MagicQ?

MagicQ ticks the box for being cross platform having the OSX version as you know. It also comes with 64 fully enabled universes for output via artnet/sACN for free without the need for any expensive dongles/licences.

By midi... you'd need to have a proper Chamsys console, or if running the software on a computer you need the MagicQ midi box which is quite expensive.

That's disappointing.

Oh well, I'll keep looking for options!

It certainly is, MagicQ supports input via MIDI, OSC or Artnet to name a few.

If using MagicQ on PC in latest versions we now support Generic USB-MIDI and Virtual MIDI interfaces - this functionality does require our special 'rack mount dongle' hardware to enable this. A little cheaper than our older USB-MIDI TC interfaces though.

If you want to use OSC or Artnet input, MagicQ just needs to be out of 'demo mode' - any of our hardware connected (not MagicDMX interfaces) will do this. Twin DMX, PC Wing, SnakeSys interface for example.

Hope this helps.

By midi... you'd need to have a proper Chamsys console, or if running the software on a computer you need the MagicQ midi box which is quite expensive.

That's disappointing.

Oh well, I'll keep looking for options!

Hi Roderick,

As above, Jands Vista on Mac can be triggered from QLAB, even running on the same machine. You dont need any physical devices other than the Jands Vista channel license as appropriate for your show.

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any additional questions or would like to try it for yourself. All of this is possible within the demo version of Vista.

Jack

• 3 months later...
chamsys wise, it's just the whole look, feel and software philosophy that I'm not keen on. I don't like pc software that tries to replicate a physical hardware surface for it's interface; you end up with the worst of both worlds. I understand why it does it but I just find it annoying. It's a lot nicer to use on an actual desk and I'm sure I could learn to like it if I put the effort in but I've already invested in another expensive console brand. What I really want is a simple, basic bit of software for super simple shows or even just testing units, but on a mac. Or MA onpc on a mac which has all the same drawbacks as chamsys when you don't have the control surface but which I know well enough for it not to be a bother.

Archived