Controlling lightbulbs

boyle-bets

Hi everyone

I am making a model that needs to control 10 lightbulbs by turning them on and off and able to fade to 0%. I have a basic knowledge of Arduino.

I have made a small LED version and used Vezer with VDMX5 to control them but would like to use larger bulbs as they have more presence for demonstrations.

Somebody suggested that I use 3 x DMX 4 channel dimmer sets plus, an OpenDMX USB and use a laptop to control them. I am worried that this is too expensive and over-specced.

Can people tell me what their opinion is on the following:

1. Is it possible to do this with 10 channels of 5v relays and an Arduino? Would this be stable enough?

2. Whether this link to producing a model with 10 bulbs would be a good idea or not: http://www.circuitba...on-the-arduino/ ?

Ultimately, I would like to use Vezer as this would give me the timeline to control them and show students.

Thanks!

B

Relays will not give you dimming...

You do not want to get involved with mains lightbulbs for safety reasons. What LEDs are you currently using, couldn't you just substitute bigger ones? or use them to light up a ping pong ball or something?

okay, thanks.

the reason I wanted household lightbulbs were because they offer a 360degree view and they have a nice classic form to them. Do you know of any LED lightbulbs alternatives that would be suitable?

thanks

Relays will not give you dimming...

You do not want to get involved with mains lightbulbs for safety reasons. What LEDs are you currently using, couldn't you just substitute bigger ones? or use them to light up a ping pong ball or something?

What do you have available? I've been wondering about trying to interface an arduino with the 0-10v input of an analogue dimmer. That would be pretty easy as you just need an op-amp set up to be a non-inverting amplifier with a gain of about 2 (the arduino output voltage is 0-5v, but I don't know how well it scales so you might want to use 0-4v say and tune the gain to compensate) connected between the output of the arduino and the input of the dimmer.

Of course, if you don't have a dimmer, that won't work.

sorry that has gone over my head a bit.. don't know much about the technicalities. don't have a dimmer at moment.

the DMX option is pretty pricey at nearly £300 and the size of the kit is pretty big too. I thought there might be an easier way to go about it.

What do you have available? I've been wondering about trying to interface an arduino with the 0-10v input of an analogue dimmer. That would be pretty easy as you just need an op-amp set up to be a non-inverting amplifier with a gain of about 2 (the arduino output voltage is 0-5v, but I don't know how well it scales so you might want to use 0-4v say and tune the gain to compensate) connected between the output of the arduino and the input of the dimmer.

Of course, if you don't have a dimmer, that won't work.

• 1 month later...

I'd look at some 12v SES lamps and holders. Look like domest1c lamps, complete with nice warm glow.

I've seen some at 5 watts in a quick Google.

Your biggest expense will be the power supply.

Watch your PWM frequency, though, otherwise the filament in the lamp will sing.

Archived