Accidentally setting off the drencher

delicolor

Ay Derby Theatre (Derby Playhouse) the drencher release and safety curtain release are adjacent on the same panel and look identical. (I imagine this was a stock item from Halls). The drencher release has been covered in fur-fabric for as long as I can remember making it somewhat easier to identify in the gloom. I don't believe the drencher has ever been released during a show but there have been a couple of 'incidents'.

All this talk of stagnant water... We have to flush ALL pipework on a regular basis, and the plumbers have removed all dead-legs, due to Legionnaires Disease "rules*".

* May be law, don't know.

We had all our firehoses removed at college because of standing water, Are firehoses a thing still ? we have them all over here - I did discover the one at work, works, 100% the best thing for cleaning and wanting to fill a bucket SUPER fast:P

In other storys in a previous job someone somehow left a hazer on, and FILLED a room, , it was on for maybe 15 mins before we found it, everywhere was hazey the whole building had an "air" about it. Crawling to try and find windows and the switch for it was not fun at all.

When we were at the Ashcroft in Croydon in 2012 we were all told where the drencher handle was and *not* to touch it except for the right reasons - apparently drencher and smoke lantern were in working order and the iron deffo got bounced every night.

That drencher is connected to the auto start sprinkler pump. There is a vast amount of water in the whole Fairfield halls system. It was let off by accident back in the late 70's, apparently it was very funny watching the Duty fireman trying to turn off the big valve on the pipe to isolate it.After that there was a bit of Gaffa over the release to stop accidental operation.

• 4 weeks later...
A lot of theatres had that identical Safety Curtain/Drencher set up, by the time lottery money started arriving it stared to change. It's never happened to me, but it's happened at two of my former venues in the 90's. One venue up North had storage under the mechanism, 15 amp cables got stored on top, some in a hurry, guess the rest! Not during show though. The other was Down south in shall we say a significant venue. At the interval the Fireman hit the wrong lever, the water hit the house tabs and the tabs man twisted the hauling line to stop them moving, but as the weight increased he had to let go. The house tabs themselves were on a temporary system (and had been for 30 years) that had stage weights in a cradle made out of 3x1. As the tabs went down the "cradle" hit the grid and fell apart and it rained weights, the tabs finally settled onto the stage, the main feature of which was a 5mx4mx1m swimming pool, the water of which immediately turn red. It took full teams working round the clock for days to sort it out. Biggest problem was drying out the tabs enough to lift them.

Archived