martin mac 250/500/600 help me pick lights

mickeylaa

I currently do techno raves. want to make my lighting system better currently have 6 stagg headbangers 3 x laserworld cs 1000s 8 adj par cans 3 x 1500w firecracker strobes looking into buying a few martin mac 500s 250s or 600s second hand. I know there an old light fixture but what are your opinions?? for example 2 martin mac 600s for £250? or 2 x 500s for £300 looking at the led side of things there like £1000 a light fixture! o.o any reviews or guidance guys?

Unless you are really lucky and find some that have not done many hours, you'll spend your whole time taking them to bits to keep them working. They are really slow and clunky compared to recent fixtures too.

There are some good LED scanners (moving mirror) out there, for raves I'd be looking at those.

I'm actually about to sell a load of IMOVE 250 moving heads for cheap if you're interested? I have 8 250S (profiles) and 4 250W (wash) lights.

All show signs of wear as they're abit 8 years old but all work fine and are all in individual cases with clamps, and I even have a few spare parts mainly some spare ignitor units which cost about £40 each to replace.

Also based in Liverpool so they can be seen working.

Inbox me if interested.

Sounds like you have a lot of wash lighting for colour - I'd be looking at some spots rather than more wash...

Scanners are good, very fast and great in quantity. Moving heads will always be slower in comparison (more weight to move around than just a mirror) but obviously there's other things to consider (moving heads give a greater range of movement being one).

I'd look into a LED moving head spot - something like a Showtec Phantom 75 (or equivalent) - that'll be punchy enough to cut through the wash and give you some great beams to compliment the lasers. Also quite small (and light) - not like the MAC500's!

the 'newer' 250 washes/kryptons/entours are alright.a bit slow and noisy when it comes to movement...not that noise will be much of a problem at a rave; but there are definitely speedier fixtures out there.

avoid 600s. they are fat, noisy and not much fun at all.

In my opinion it doesn't matter too much which fixtures you choose as they'll all do some pretty funky stuff with decent programming. Assume you have got a decent controller of some sort and the ability to program it?

Your punters essentially just want some lights to flash and whizz to enhance the music and they won't particularly notice what it is that provides the end result.

All of the Martin units you mentioned have got pretty good reputations, but will depend entirely on how much use they've had and how well they've been looked after as to whether they'll be reliable or constantly breaking down, much like an old car. They can be had relatively cheaply (especially compared to their new prices!) and as already mentioned at least there's a good supply of parts available for them. Just don't forget lamp costs and have you got the ability to tinker with them to keep them running or will you need to be paying to get them serviced?

Unless your events really are of the size to justify using 500s/600s (or any similar 575w discharge lamped light) then you'd probably be better off sticking with 250/300 (or similar 250w discharge units) as the lamps will cost less and the lights will be smaller, physically lighter and easier to transport and rig and give nearly as good effects.

As for LED moving lights, there are some great units available new for far less than the £1000 you mentioned, but the supply of used units is generally limited to smaller lights typically sold in pairs by mobile DJs which might be in great condition but overpriced, or completely knackered ex-install kit from closed nightclubs which may need loads of work and a good chance you can't obtain the parts...

Speak to the guy who offered you the iMoves - you mights be pleasantly surprised as to what they do and how affordable they might be, even if they're not a European brand with a huge marketing budget. If they work they'd be fine for your raves.

250 wash is a nice wee light and with a beam kit it's very punchy. The beam lenses can be a wee bit fragile. The Krypton is bright but make sure you clean them regularly especially as the do t have dust filters. I'd avoid 500s and 600s these days unless they've been well looked after and have low hours.

Archived