What are these things called???

genebadd

Hey everyone, I am not a light guy which is why I am here. I was at a rock show (very small venue) and the band that was playing had what looked like floor monitors but instead were a bunch of lights, fog machine ect... Well never the less, the band wasnt to great but the lights were awesome. I was wondering if anyone knows what these kind of light boxes are called and where I might find them. I have searched and searched and have turned up empty handed. Now I know pretty much anyone who is standing on what appears to be a monitor and has a 1000W strobe light punching them in the knees is probably using a similiar setup.....Please help,,,

gene

They could have been Molefays, or to use another name for them 4 or 8 lites. Dependant on which version you have, it's 2, 4 or 8 lamps arranged in a metal casing...

Or maybe even Howie battens - 20x12v MR16 lamps in a long strip wired in series to make 240v - or some are 10 lamps which you then plug up together to make 240v.

The Thomas website should be a good place to look (search in Google using James Thomas Engineering).

Hope this helps.

Stu

Could it have been the "roadie" range ? Some pics HERE near the bottom pf the page.

I've never actually seen these units, but remember seeing some ads in the press a few years ago...

Bruce.

Hey Bruce and Stu, thanks for the quick replies. They do not appear to be the roadie range lights as mentioned. I havent looked up Stu's suggestions but will right after this posting. I just recall walking up to the stage because I noticed they had what appeared to be additional monitors on the floor. Upon taking a closer look these monitors were in fact light sources incased in some heavy duty cage wire so you can stand on them or rest your leg on them. They had three total which all worked together and one even had a fog machine in it.

Gene

Could it have been the "roadie" range ? Some pics HERE near the bottom pf the page.

I've never actually seen these units, but remember seeing some ads in the press a few years ago...

Bruce.

Hey Bruce and Stu, thanks for the quick replies. They do not appear to be the roadie range lights as mentioned. I havent looked up Stu's suggestions but will right after this posting. I just recall walking up to the stage because I noticed they had what appeared to be additional monitors on the floor. Upon taking a closer look these monitors were in fact light sources incased in some heavy duty cage wire so you can stand on them or rest your leg on them. They had three total which all worked together and one even had a fog machine in it.

Gene

They may have been a custom job - a monitor casing with some mesh, and some par cans and a fog machine or something.

Thats what Im afraid they might be...Time to go to Home depot!!

Bruce.

Gene

They may have been a custom job - a monitor casing with some mesh, and some par cans and a fog machine or something.

Guest lightnix
I don't suppose you could post a picture? That would help identification immensely and maybe provide an interesting conversation piece as well ;)

Archived