IPAF - second time around

numberwrong

My IPAF is going to run out in the next few months

Like most people I haven't filled in my log book but I've probably driven MEWPs on 50 - 60 different occasions over the last 5 years.

My question is, do I have to do another course from scratch or can I somehow get signed off again based on experience. I could go through my diary and retrospectively fill my log book, I could easily get the relevant people to sign it as I've had mostly the same clients for that period and I'll be working with a lot of the crew chiefs and PMs before my licence expires.

Just found this on the IPAF website....

How do I renew my PAL Card when it expires? (NB: PAL Cards are valid for 5 years.)Contact an IPAF training centre. Only operators or demonstrators who have been filling out their log books (60 entries over 5 years, 10 of which should be in the final year prior to expiry) will be eligible for a renewal test. Those who have not been filling out their log books will not be eligible for a renewal test and will have to re-sit the full operator/demonstrator course again.

All renewals must be done before the expiry date. Otherwise, an operator will have to do a full operator course and a demonstrator must do the full operator and demonstrator courses.

Full details are in the IPAF MEWP Operations Manual, Chapter 2.2.2.

I think the log book is the only evidence they'll accept. When I left the RAF I was an instructor on MEWP, came into the IPAF way of doing things and none of the qualifications I had were valid, so I had to start from scratch. Even the IPAF instructor I had was ex-RAF and said it was ridiculous, but that was the way it was.

Get your log book filled in and do the short (and maybe cheaper?) version or do the course again are you only two options here I think.

Archived