DMX-Analogue Converter

foh_al

Long time no post, as I've been away from the industry for some time now!

I've recently been having a clear out of the technician stuff I've accumulated over the years, and have come across an old analog dimmer pack which would serve my local social club perfectly. Problem is that their controller is, unsurprisingly, DMX-only. It seems a real shame to ditch it, but internet searches for a reasonably-priced DMX-analogue converter have proved fruitless.

Does anyone know of a 'cheap' DMX to 8-ch 10v analogue converter? Or should I just accept that this dimmer has served its time, and move on?

Thanks,

Al

Soundlight in Germany <soundlight.de> do a range of very nice PCB modules. They used to be distributed by Dial S&L in Yorkshire, but now by Lightfactor (like most of the lighting world now part of Eaton) & JESE in Devon, who don't list them yet yet but do have them.

Their 6-channel version, 3006C, comes with decade (rather than dip) address switches on a separate PCB, so easy to hide in the rack

http://www.soundligh...te/dmxd0-10.htm - JESE price £97.50 + VAT & postage.

Thanks all!

The dmxprojects module looks perfect. I did have a look on the bay of E, but all the well-known units seem to be going for much more than they want to spend. After all, they didn't even know they wanted more lights until I mentioned I was getting rid of some. :P

Al

OTOH even a second hand S72 or Z88 demux48 is likely to cost more than the unit from DMX projects though, especially if you only need 8 channels.

True Alister but I bought mine for around £25 a couple of years ago and there was an S72 two weeks ago which went for less than £10!!

Sounds like you got lucky - I rarely see them go for under 50, usually 70 plus.

I just picked up a 36 way Pulsar demux for £25 on FleaBay, so it is possible, you just need patience waiting for the right one to come along.

Well, thanks for all the replies! I'll keep watching eBay and see if any bargains come up, otherwise we'll go for the dmxprojects.com option. And yes, careful attention will be paid to the electrical loading...

Archived