Quiet(ish) snow machine options

Paul O

I'm looking at snow machine options for a production of White Christmas later in the year. Ideally I'd like to use one of the really silent machines like the Snowboy Stage Whisper but that's sadly out of the budget for this amateur production.

I've been offered some Le Maitre Arctic Snow machines which according to Le Maitre's website are "quiet operation" however I've not heard them personally - how quiet are they in reality?

-how quiet are they in reality?

They are certainly quieter than some of the cheap Chinese units but they still have a fan blowing away. Go and get a demo from your supplier.

For a production of Barefoot in the Park last year, we tried lots of options and were not happy with the noise v mess on set in all the ones we looked at. Many reasonably priced units were good at one or the other, but not at both. So in the end we built a snow machine from scratch which ejected paper snow (which I think we got from Lancelyn as was). It did not generate snow but merely gave a controlled snowfall on demand by forcing out a trough of snowflakes using an archimedes screw. I was just the LD so don't have the details of it, so it just depends on the effect you are after whether this is relevant or not but basically almost totally silent operation, on/off no problem, and easy to sweep up during the interval. One of the major suppliers had a commercial one, I think was either WL or SE, but one of our technicians built it from wood and a motor plus the paper snow.

We did something similar in BITP, again using paper snow to minimize mess. We used a small desk fan clamped in the rig to cause a slight draught through the broken fanlight and used a pivoted bucket to tip the snow into the draught and through the window. The fan wasn't running very fast so made so little noise it was undetectable.

The drums that dispense snow as linked above work pretty well from the times I've seen them too.

Edit : spelling.

Archived