Neutrik NA3FM

TonyMitchell

Whilst stocking up on some of the more popular Neutrik adaptors, I came across this one.

http://www.neutrik.c...-adapters/na3fm

What exactly is its purpose?

It is wired straight (i.e. it is not a phase reverse adaptor - that is a different product http://www.neutrik.c...adapters/na3fmx)

It is a single pressed adaptor (i.e. cannot be opened to fit resistors for DIY projects), so apart from extending a mic cable by a few centimetres, what else is it good for?

1468606288[/url]' post='540638']

I've got some permanently stuck in a stage box that is hard to get to - just gets the end nearer to me!

Another use could be as a 'sacrificial' connector, to reduce wear on equipment I/o connectors.

Another use could be as a 'sacrificial' connector, to reduce wear on equipment I/o connectors.

That's logical, but I'm wondering how much use an XLR would need to see before problems arise? The downside of a long barrel like this is that it's more likely to cause problems if it gets knocked. (For this reason, I always try to use adaptors that are two connectors with a short cord in between, rather than a one-piece barrel)

It seems strange the Neutrik won't provide even a hint of a potential use.

Back of racks in an OB truck where all the cables are custom lengths for the installed equipment, then some time later something gets changed to the new model with the case that isn't as deep.

Cheers,

Peter

Designed after lunch on a Friday when it seemed like a good idea?

More seriously, although I don't have any, I do have some XLRs tucked away at the back of gear under a lip or other obstruction where a couple of inches of extension would make plugging a lot easier.

Whilst stocking up on some of the more popular Neutrik adaptors, I came across this one.

http://www.neutrik.c...-adapters/na3fm

What exactly is its purpose?

It is wired straight (i.e. it is not a phase reverse adaptor - that is a different product http://www.neutrik.c...adapters/na3fmx)

It is a single pressed adaptor (i.e. cannot be opened to fit resistors for DIY projects), so apart from extending a mic cable by a few centimetres, what else is it good for?

Maybe they felt the need to have a product to match Switchcraft's S3FM, a similar tube often used to build custom adapters like pads, polarity reversers, or phantom blockers, without noticing the important aspect of being able to open it up to build in your components.

Mac

I've just worked out how we can all become rich!

Buy a bunch and sell them along a a phono to XLR-M cable and an XLR-F to phono. We could advertise it as "adding professional XLR quality to you home audio set up.

What shall we charge? Maybe £1,500 per set or £2,500 if they buy two?

I've just worked out how we can all become rich!

Buy a bunch and sell them along a a phono to XLR-M cable and an XLR-F to phono. We could advertise it as "adding professional XLR quality to you home audio set up.

What shall we charge? Maybe £1,500 per set or £2,500 if they buy two?

You could be onto something Bobbsy, particularly if Neutrik would consider adding right and left angled variants, enabling the audiophools to 'pipe' electrons around the walls & corners of their listening rooms. This rigid alternative could signify the end for snake oil cables!

Archived