Low-Med budget PA

lonemorf

Hi all,

I need a low to medium budget PA. For discos up to about 200 people max, and for the vocals for a band.

I would ideally like subs and tops, with stacking poles, and also for it to be active (makes things easier imo).

I have seen many options, Auna, Power Dynamics, some EV stuff (the bottom end I presume), etc etc, then also been looking at 2nd hand kit too .

Looking to spend no more than around £1200 really. I was trying to find the shermann audio systems - they used to do the "blue" or "black" systems etc, but they seem to have stopped those from what I can tell from their site.

Any ideas/input?

For that budget for subs and tops, I'd be looking at Thomann's Achat range. They're not a name brand but they punch well above their weight in terms of sound quality and build.

My usual go-to powered boxes are Yamaha DXR12's, but that's not going to leave you a budget for subs. Is second hand an option?

These any good?

https://www.proaudiocentre.com/shop/audio-equipment/pa-systems/band-pa/products/alto-ts2-4600w-full-range-band-pa-system-with-live-1604-mixer.html

I realise I will want to go and listen to some of these, but some input from you guys will certainly help me narrow it down.

Sorry Cedd, I missed your reply.

2nd Hand is certainly an option.

£1200 is possibly a little low for a pair of tops and subs that do audiences for 200 people. It can be done but the venue and positioning of the speakers can make a big difference. At that budget I'd recommend the FBT X-Lite 12a's along with some Alto TS Sub15's. Alto are releasing new versions of those subs this summer which should be worth waiting for.Going secondhand may get more bang for buck and you may be able to pick up some Yamaha DXR10's or DXR12's? Alternatively secondhand FBT J12a's or RCF 312a's or 712a's.

I have a pair of DXR15's and on some gigs I use these without my QSC KW181 subs. I am constantly impressed with the power, clarity and depth of bass these put out and have comfortably done events of at least 100+ people with plenty of power left. That may be another option worth considering? The RCF 715's and the Turbosound Sienna TSP152's are also worth checking out.I've used the new Alto TS212a's and whilst they offer excellent value for money I preferred the FBT X-Lite 12a's. To my ears, the FBT's had greater clarity with better midrange, depth of bass and higher output. Those subs are being replaced with a mk2 version which I would hold on for.

Any of it really - there are so many unscrupulous sellers out there now, selling knock offs, etc, is there anywhere you would recommend for the new element. 2nd Hand, it appears to pretty much be ebay or gearsource.

Electrovoice ELX is fairly self explanatory

http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/product_images/LiveX_115IN.png

Or if you are happy with a DSP unit then ZLX is even less unpopulated

http://www.proaudiosystems.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/v/ev-zlx-back-close-up_1.jpg

Hi all,

I need a low to medium budget PA. For discos up to about 200 people max, and for the vocals for a band.

I would ideally like subs and tops, with stacking poles, and also for it to be active (makes things easier imo).

I have seen many options, Auna, Power Dynamics, some EV stuff (the bottom end I presume), etc etc, then also been looking at 2nd hand kit too .

Looking to spend no more than around £1200 really. I was trying to find the shermann audio systems - they used to do the "blue" or "black" systems etc, but they seem to have stopped those from what I can tell from their site.

Any ideas/input?

I hope Sheermann are still going, we just bought 2 systems from them... We have the K4 (over under 6" double tops & 12" subs) which will do 200 peeps its a great sound, really better then any I heard. the BPM show did a great line up of over 20 brands(?), and Shermann blew them all away. Hence we now own these 2 systems.

If you want to up the bass, go for the Orange. (2 x 12" + 2 x 15" subs). Probably a bit more than your budget though.

If you're in the south east and want a listen, we would happily oblige.

Hi all,

Any ideas/input?

I hope Sheermann are still going, we just bought 2 systems from them... We have the K4 (over under 6" double tops & 12" subs) which will do 200 peeps its a great sound, really better then any I heard. the BPM show did a great line up of over 20 brands(?), and Shermann blew them all away. Hence we now own these 2 systems.

If you want to up the bass, go for the Orange. (2 x 12" + 2 x 15" subs). Probably a bit more than your budget though.

If you're in the south east and want a listen, we would happily oblige.

Shermann are still going strong, they're tied up with this company now; http://www.sonovie.co.uk/

Archived