Best headset mics for singing

Richie Love

Hi all

What's peoples opinion on the best vocal headset mics around, I've got about a grand to spend and are looking to purchase 4 or 5 mics, I'd love to buy sennheiser but there rather expensive, and don't want to buy crap either, opinions please ????

Richie you might need to clarify whether for that budget you're looking for just the headset mics or complete wireless systems that include headset mics. The former is achievable; the latter is very unlikely.

1463689734[/url]' post='538712']

Richie you might need to clarify whether for that budget you're looking for just the headset mics or complete wireless systems that include headset mics. The former is achievable; the latter is very unlikely.

Hi shez

Sorry mate I'm looking for the full systems, basically I'm LX technician for my Mrs 's performing arts group but she's asked me to find her some mics, I'm not expecting west end quality but I don't want to but the cheap crap that's all over the Internet, I was wondering what mid range systems there are? I'm not the best with knowing decent sound mics etc

Hope this clears it up ?

I'm not expecting west end quality but I don't want to but the cheap crap that's all over the Internet, I was wondering what mid range systems there are?

Hi Richie. Being brutally honest, your budget is not going to get you four/five channels of "mid range" UHF. Sennheiser G3 300/500 series are firmly midrange in the grand scheme of things and your budget wouldn't cover two channels. "West End quality" is lots more - several thousand pounds per UHF channel is common.

Depending on how often you need the mics, hiring may well be a better option.

1463692826[/url]' post='538715']
1463690509[/url]' post='538713']I'm not expecting west end quality but I don't want to but the cheap crap that's all over the Internet, I was wondering what mid range systems there are?

Hi Richie. Being brutally honest, your budget is not going to get you four/five channels of "mid range" UHF. Sennheiser G3 300/500 series are firmly midrange in the grand scheme of things and your budget wouldn't cover two channels. "West End quality" is lots more - several thousand pounds per UHF channel is common.

Depending on how often you need the mics, hiring may well be a better option.

Hi mate thanks for the honesty, basically I do about 5 shows a year max, normally hire but thought as had some money there might try and buy some! Is it worth looking out for some second hand sennheiser ?

You might just manage some LD Systems wireless mics in budget. LD systems Headset I haven't used their wireless mics but recently bought one of their IEM systems (MEI1000) and both performance and build are very impressive, maybe not quite on a par with the top end Shure and Sennheiser I have access to but it's very good indeed. If the head mic systems are as good they'll certainly be up to the job.

The only caveat I'd have is that I only use three or four at a time and all my radio kit is channel 70. If you need more then you're probably going to need going for licensed kit.

If you can stretch the budget a little though, we've had good results with Line6 2.4 GHz mics, these seem to be the cheapest headset kits they do My link and that band is licence free. Just make sure you have clear line of sight between the transmitters and receivers, I had a very bad experience when I first used them due to a scaff pole safety handrail interrupting the LOS.......

Someone will probably be along soon with hands-on experience but a few people seem to recommend the Sennheiser XSW series which would fit into your budget excluding the actual mic capsules.

Only thing I wouldn't be certain on would be if you could run 5 systems in the unlicensed band - you might want to stick with 4 or look at shared uhf licence to allow you to run more frequencies, but that's around £75 a year to licence.

Oop - while I was writing the ch70 channel squeeze has been mentioned

A grand will get you four Trantec 4.4 systems in ch70.

Example on Amazon

Even this basic Trantec system is quite superior to the cheap'n'cheerful "DJ" type systems you see around.

For musical theatre type use, you can't go far wrong for the budget you have.

You're only going to get four channels though. The next series up are the 4.16 which can take you in to ch38, but then the money goes up!

Well, "best" isn't part of your question...it's more "what can I get for my budget"

Based on Thomann pricing, you could just about get 4 channels of Sennheiser XS systems, then replace the included clip on mics with Chinese headsets.

I've got 4 channels of XS and it actually performs pretty well. The Chinese headsets take some EQing but can sound okay and are cheap enough to treat almost as a disposable item--which, even with expensive mics, is pretty much what they turn out to be once singers and actors get their heads inside them.

Based on Thomann pricing, you could just about get 4 channels of Sennheiser XS systems, then replace the included clip on mics with Chinese headsets.

so I may sound thick here ( I usually do !), Iv'e looked at the XS range and I noticed that the XS 52 has a headset with it and the 72 says instruments and has a jack on it but its a lot cheaper, if I bought the 72 could I buy my own headsets and plug it in and they would work or are the transmitters programmed so you cant do that?

sorry if I sound thick just dont want to buy something and get it all wrong!

cheers

so I may sound thick here ( I usually do !), Iv'e looked at the XS range and I noticed that the XS 52 has a headset with it and the 72 says instruments and has a jack on it but its a lot cheaper, if I bought the 72 could I buy my own headsets and plug it in and they would work or are the transmitters programmed so you cant do that?

sorry if I sound thick just dont want to buy something and get it all wrong!

cheers

Pretty sure the headsets need some energising voltage which the instrument pack won't supply. It could work if you can find some dynamic headsets but they are usually big and ugly so pretty much a non starter for your purpose.

I'd still look into the Line6 I mentioned if you can stretch the budget a little. They are £286 a pop though so it may just be too big a step. They are probably the easiest system to run though as they do all the channel sorting stuff for you.

I might be wrong but the XS series appear to use the same locking 3.5mm jack that the G3 systems use so I would expect the wiring and compatibility to be the same. You can interchange electret mics and guitars on the G3 so there's a good chance you can do the same with the XS. Download the manual to check.

I just checked the manual with my XS stuff and on the page talking about systems, it says pretty clearly that the transmit pack is an SK20 for both the XS 52 and XS 72. Just to be sure, I checked and the receiver is also the same model.

...So you should be fine.

Archived