15 meter HDMI run

taylord

Hi guys,

Any advice on a long run of HDMI from a ceiling mounted projector in a drama studio to a HDMI input for a Laptop/Video Camera. The run is about 15 meters. Do the cables with 'extenders' built in work?

Any advice on a long run of HDMI from a ceiling mounted projector in a drama studio to a HDMI input for a Laptop/Video Camera. The run is about 15 meters. Do the cables with 'extenders' built in work?

If you get a high quality HDMI cable it should not need an extender at 15 metres (assuming HD-ish resolutions). I have an install with 25 metre passive cables.

If you get a high quality HDMI cable it should not need an extender at 15 metres (assuming HD-ish resolutions). I have an install with 25 metre passive cables.

Any recommended suppliers? CPC?

Active HDMI cables come in two sorts - those that pull power from the Source and those which pull from the Sink (Display), either or can work but can also not work if the Source or Sink is not happy delivering power to the cable electronics.

15m is usually achievable with a decent gauge of passive HDMI cable - it'll tend to be a stiff cable so also allow for some short, flexible F>M adapter cables on either end of the long cable run.

I would always run at least one CAT6 alongside the HDMI cable as you may have to revert to an HDMI over CAT solution.

Some Projectors have an HDBT enabled RJ45 socket - if that is the case then a single CAT6 cable plus an HDBT Transmitter is the best option.

Joe

Archived