AV capture card for streaming

soundspider

Hi,

Been asked by a church to source an AV capture card (and potentially software) to stream services live using an existing analogue (composite out) camera and feed from their mixing desk. As usual, they want budget goods - any decent suggestions? This isn't usually my thing!

Thanks,

Alan

Hi,

Been asked by a church to source an AV capture card (and potentially software) to stream services live using an existing analogue (composite out) camera and feed from their mixing desk. As usual, they want budget goods - any decent suggestions? This isn't usually my thing!

Thanks,

Alan

I own a video streaming company.

If you are on windows, get an osprey card.

We have 2 used ones and a breakout going cheap, pm me if interested

fFirst suggestion would be 'walk away' - 'not my thing' and no budget is usually a recepie for you loosing lots of time/money.

How tech savy will the system operators be? I'd usually expect if they were switched on they would already have a budget/DIY type solution in place?

Have you ran any tests on the Broadband line?

Joe

If you want really cheap, we started off doing it with one of those £15 USB "make a DVD" dongles and an old Panasonic AWE5 vision mixer, stream to Ustream using Flash Media Live Encoder (free). We only had 1MB upload speed on broadband and despite being cheap and nasty it actually worked fine for what we needed, we kept the bitrate and resolution low (320x240 I think).

We stopped using Ustream because the advertising became too intrusive and inappropriate and now use Bambuser.com (paid), however Youtube is now a good option for live streaming which wasn't available at the time we were starting it.

You do need some video and tech knowledge to get it up and running each time. As Joe says this may be a case for walk away, depends if you want to get involved in a fun project. Certainly if this is a paying gig I would think twice.

If you use YouTube, you need to be very careful with any copyrighted audio that may be streamed. The content ID system is very good, and just 10 seconds of unintentional background music can be enough to get your stream pulled.

If you use YouTube, you need to be very careful with any copyrighted audio that may be streamed. The content ID system is very good, and just 10 seconds of unintentional background music can be enough to get your stream pulled.

This is an interesting point (and sorry for diverting the thread...)

There are different copyright rules for "religious services" but I bet youtube's automatic system does not make this distinction.

Yeah, I do like the sound of the "walk away" option! The operator apparently works with computers for a living, so shouldn't really have too many issues. The main thing I've been asked to look at is just getting the image onto the laptop. I'm fine with the camera end, its the rest I'm not so sure. I think I have used the Ustream stuff before for VHS to DVD conversion - can it be used live? I'm guessing the name it can be!

Thanks for the responses so far.

Alan

The cheap DVD converters just have a yellow phono/rca socket for composite video, and 2x phonos for stereo audio, it's just plug in a camera composite video and go.

I would highly recommend connecting the audio via a transformer isolated DI as mysterious hums can otherwise appear on the main PA.

Ustream is easy to set up a live feed, but they run full screen 30sec ads at random which interrupt your content and the subject of the ads is often inappropriate for a church feed, we decided to look for another solution after we'd had whisky, gambling and condoms.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like a good solution at all! Will think some more about it and possibly abandon ship after that.

I'd be happy to give advice to the church directly if you decide not to get involved (as another church video person, not on any professional basis)

We've done this with a few churches after going though all the painful experiences ourselves. PM me if you want.

Not my area of expertise at all - but if you want rock bottom budget, I'd have a look at Facebook's live streaming service. Either an iOS device or camera connected to a laptop should work surely? Appreciate quality might not be excellent BUT gives you a good arguement for larger investment for better outcomes?

This is an interesting point (and sorry for diverting the thread...)

There are different copyright rules for "religious services" but I bet youtube's automatic system does not make this distinction.

The only ways around the Content ID system is to get the copyright holder of the audio you want to use to white list your channel, or to get YouTube to white list your channel. The former is difficult, especially as it's never clear who actually owns the copyright of tracks in YouTube's eyes, and its often more than one. The latter is virtually impossible even for YouTube partners, and seems to normally involve lawyers.

They make no distinction on how the audio is being used, or the circumstances (and whether the religious exemptions even apply to an online stream is probably a grey area anyway).

These difficulties are making it harder and harder to suggest YouTube as a suitable platform. Even if you manage to get all the permissions, all it takes is someone to play a friend a song on their mobile near a crowd mic and your stream gets pulled.

Archived