new LED PAR64s flicker

Louis sullivan NLS

Hi there,

having trouble with our new LED PAR64s which are Lightmaxx 12x12w 6 colour units.

They all seem to flicker, tried putting them in different configurations with and without DMX splitter, and still have trouble. sometimes they even cause other model fixtures in the chain to join in flickering. Ironically they are advertised as 400 Hz flicker free.

any one have and ideas??

thanks

Do they flicker if you connect them individually straight to the desk with a short DMX cable and with a terminator in the fixture output socket?

They seem fine individually, when connecting other fixtures they flicker, I have tested each cable individually and they seem fine too. The PARcans don't seem to want to play ball with each other

Could it be weak DMX output from control devices?

Bearing in mind the old LED PAR's never had problems, it's ever since these new ones came into operation...

It's quite likely that one or more of them is squirting their own DMX on to the line. If one fails to receive DMX, they can sometimes default to generating their own. I can't find a manual online for those particular fixtures - does it mention anything about them operating in standalone mode or master/slave modes?

I would test all your cables thoroughly (including checking that there's no continuity to the XLR shells) and then build up the line one fixture at a time to try to identify which one is going rogue.

This may be one of those situations where it may be easier to feed each group of lights with their own DMX chain. If it is on a bar, get a truss mounted splitter or something small like an Enttec D Split . If the units can be a master or a slave, they are generating the DMX that goes out of the fixture, that other brand fixtures do not like.

If they were not a master / slave fixture, I would suspect switch mode power supply noise getting onto the DMX line, which would need separate a DMX feed for them anyway.

You could try putting any other fixture before your new led par 64's, to see if everything works ok, but if later on someone needs to add something on to the end of the DMX chain, they will have problems, which needs to be resolved well before show bumpins.

1460768808[/url]' post='537388']

This may be one of those situations where it may be easier to feed each group of lights with their own DMX chain. If it is on a bar, get a truss mounted splitter or something small like an Enttec D Split . If the units can be a master or a slave, they are generating the DMX that goes out of the fixture, that other brand fixtures do not like.

If they were not a master / slave fixture, I would suspect switch mode power supply noise getting onto the DMX line, which would need separate a DMX feed for them anyway.

You could try putting any other fixture before your new led par 64's, to see if everything works ok, but if later on someone needs to add something on to the end of the DMX chain, they will have problems, which needs to be resolved well before show bumpins.

Have you got a microphone cable in place of DMX cable. I did that and got flickers.

Have you got a microphone cable in place of DMX cable. I did that and got flickers.

This is a myth which we must stop perpetuating. Microphone cable, though not the ideal or the proper solution, does work fine for DMX unless you are going for kilometers with it. If you get flickering or other problems then you have a fault elsewhere.

Archived