Lighting instalation and the Construction Industry Scheme

Impact Pete

Ok, Does anyone have good advice on The Construction Industry Scheme regarding lighting/sound Installations.

It has been brought up by a school we did a quote for which we have quoted a small wall mounted dimmer to plug in their existing wall power socket so no new electrical circuits etc.

I've never heard of this scheme but it seems this particular school may pull out due to us not being registered. I can't get any sense out of HMRC (no surprise) it just seems like it's not worth it

Any one had experience of this?

I bet they mean CSCS.

Having everyone trained for H&S reasons, having done a test, and also qualified to do what they say they will.

There are a lot of sites that wont let you on site without a card. Same applies to refits or remodels of theatres or work spaces. We've been CSCS for years, but it was a faff to get hold of cards for people who had no qualificaitons, yet had been doing it for years.

To be honest, a standard labourer card is all they generally want to see, nomatter what works you are doing.

Edit to add - and if it is CIS, then a letterheaded statement saying 'we only use full time bona fide employees' will suffice.

I have never once had them mention CIS though, unless its a massive (and I mean total build) job.

I bet they mean CSCS.

Having everyone trained for H&S reasons, having done a test, and also qualified to do what they say they will.

There are a lot of sites that wont let you on site without a card. Same applies to refits or remodels of theatres or work spaces. We've been CSCS for years, but it was a faff to get hold of cards for people who had no qualificaitons, yet had been doing it for years.

To be honest, a standard labourer card is all they generally want to see, nomatter what works you are doing.

Edit to add - and if it is CIS, then a letterheaded statement saying 'we only use full time bona fide employees' will suffice.

I have never once had them mention CIS though, unless its a massive (and I mean total build) job.

Hi definately CIS it seems daft

Some "establishments" put building repairs inc electrics under a construction industry tax scheme whereby they pay you less some tax deduction, Registered construction companies can account for this tax deducted towards their tax due.

Whether it should be... but can you convince them.

Some "establishments" put building repairs inc electrics under a construction industry tax scheme whereby they pay you less some tax deduction, Registered construction companies can account for this tax deducted towards their tax due.

From how read it it just the labour side rather than te supply of the equipment?

From how read it it just the labour side rather than te supply of the equipment?

Tired when I wrote that should read;

From how I have read it, it seems that this is for the labour side rather than the supply of the equipment?

Yes its totally about the labour side.

The government were upset with the amount of cash in hand going on throughout the entire construction industry, and basically said 'we don't believe they will pay tax and NI, you take it off them unless they are a proper company, or you employ them full time'.

So all you need to do is declare to your client that all your employees are PAYE, are not sub contracted, and voila. (as long as they are !)

Yes its totally about the labour side.

The government were upset with the amount of cash in hand going on throughout the entire construction industry, and basically said 'we don't believe they will pay tax and NI, you take it off them unless they are a proper company, or you employ them full time'.

So all you need to do is declare to your client that all your employees are PAYE, are not sub contracted, and voila. (as long as they are !)

Thank you that totally makes sense to me, shame HMRC could not explain it like that.

As I'm the only one on this job and I'm full time then it's not an issue

thank you

Archived