Business Insurance

soundman208

Hi Folks

A non-technical question for all of you who are running a sound production business where you provide and operate radio mic / P.A. equipment / etc. to the likes of amateur dramatic groups, small corporate events, etc. (dry hire of equipment is very limited - where the kit goes, I generally go too!)

As a sole trader, costs are always an issue, and my current insurance provider has indicated that this year's premium will represent a 30%+ increase on last year and this follows on from a similar 30% increase last year. (Before anyone asks - I have NOT made any claims whatsoever in the 11 years and more that I have been trading so that doesn't count for the size of the increase).

Basically, what I require is cover for Public and Product Liability, Employers' Liability, Business Equipment and (possibly) Goods in transit. A trawl of the web shows plenty of business insurance providers but very few of them seem to cater for (or understand) our industry. Any suggestions or recommendations as to insurance providers or brokers that you use will be very welcome.

Cheers.

I'm with Doodson in Manchester. My premium hasn't changed significantly in the last few years, except for when I've upped my insured equipment value. They're definitely worth a shout.

I use and have done for many years mark Trossell from Luker row Hibernian. Industry specific cover with a good broker service.

Not sure how competitive they are, every time I try to price check I find cheaper covers always miss some vital aspects.

We use Hiscox. They can be expensive but we needed Professional Indemnity Insurance which bumps the premium up. Worth checking a few things when you are looking for a policy too. Does it cover working at height? Most of them limit it to 3m above ground and you have to pay additional to have this increased. Another thing is if you do any work outside the UK make sure you are covered. To allow us to work and be covered in the US nearly tripled the cost of our monthly premium.

I'm with Doodson in Manchester. My premium hasn't changed significantly in the last few years, except for when I've upped my insured equipment value. They're definitely worth a shout.

We are also with Doodsons very helpful and reasonable price .

Archived