X32 Compact - Price Drop

loudwill

Looking at purchasing an X32 soon from Thomman but have just noticed a price drop on the Compact range console. It is now cheaper than the Producer console.

Are there any rumors of a new range, or any of you guys/gals got any ideas of why it may have dropped?

Looking at purchasing an X32 soon from Thomman but have just noticed a price drop on the Compact range console. It is now cheaper than the Producer console.

Are there any rumors of a new range, or any of you guys/gals got any ideas of why it may have dropped?

It's probably the first of a new order batch, the Producer may well fall too over the next few days too. Nothing I can see on the X32 forums suggesting a new model.

That does seem odd although I've seen Thomann do this on other kit from time to time, whether it's price matching or moving over-stocked lines who knows?

Several months back Behringer said they were doing a price drop on the full size X32 which I think did happen however, the other sizes in the range have all increased. I was looking into adding an X32 rack until the price shot up +£150.

I notice also the XAir XR18 has gone up in the last few weeks whereas the (less succesful?) X18 is now price ~£150 less than the R version when they were originally priced the same.

there is nothing new in the air (unless they do a make over) and not planned to be. music group are usually guilty of too much advance trumpeting -and despite acquiring tc electronics still have a bottle neck in software development. the x32 software platform is very successful and being the best selling console in history (apparently) they will be in no hurry to change it unless the competition comes up with something better at the same price point.

I watch the thomann prices and they are a law unto themselves. the x32 producer was down at £1,000 ish a until a few weeks ago. my advice would to be grab the bargain when you see it BUT check that their euro price is roughly correct with your bank rate conversion because they bill in euro NOT pounds.

as an aside there is actually a glitch on their custom flight case maker that prices correctly in euro but doesn't adjust the price in pounds always - I thought I had found the bargain of a lifetime until I converted the euro price and found it was twice the cost!.

The x32 software platform is very successful and being the best selling console in history (apparently) they will be in no hurry to change it unless the competition comes up with something better at the same price point.

And the secret to Behringer making loads of money from the X32 is volume, which it is clearly achieving, but the longer they make the line last the better for them.

Compare their costbase against Soundcraft, for example, in a similar timeframe who've gone through the Si Compact, Si Expression, Si Performer, Si Impact. While it's all just incremental improvements, think of their costs in R&D, design, retooling and marketing to get through that lot.

X32 is a triumphal balance of marketing, tech development and volume production. MG have got the sums right (and the gamble they took pitching the X32 at the price level they did has paid off in spades). Granted their options were limited, they could have priced it at 3 x and the low end pros and semi-pros would have simply ignored it and spent 4-5x on another LS9. Priced as they did, many semi pros could suddenly access the digital mixer paradigm at a decent level. They turned the market on it's head and rightly so. The X32 is not the best mixer out there but it is probably the best in it's price range.......

• 2 weeks later...

I watch the thomann prices and they are a law unto themselves.

Or the Exchange rate is fluctuating?

that's a small part of it but the producer referred to was at £1k, it's now at £1.3k in the space of a month or so. as a result, the compact, also at £1.3k is now out of stock - I bet the structure shifts a bit again when it comes back in stock.

Bought my Producer 18 months ago from Thomann when it was around 1k. Can't recall the price of the Compact at the time but was enough of a differential I decided I could live without the scribble strips with the bonus that it fit in my existing 19" pop up mixer case. I'm finding Studiospares cheaper for a lot of stuff at the moment, especially when bank charges are taken into consideration.

Compact was £1.3K around a year ago with the producer just over £1k.

Don't understand why there's less than £10 difference at Thomann at the moment. Most of the others will price match (musicstore.de are already matching the Thomann price) so I guess it's a good time to get a compact - assuming you can cope with the abysmal support for the X32MIX IOS app !

Not Thomann but interesting to see the general price history:

X32 COMPACT AMAZON PRICE HISTORY

X32 PRODUCER AMAZON PRICE HISTORY

Don't understand why there's less than £10 difference at Thomann at the moment. Most of the others will price match (musicstore.de are already matching the Thomann price) so I guess it's a good time to get a compact - assuming you can cope with the abysmal support for the X32MIX IOS app !

serves you right for using apple stuff! - joking but you should try the third party android mix station - much better by all accounts.

serves you right for using apple stuff! - joking but you should try the third party android mix station - much better by all accounts.

The IOS app worked very well until they "updated" it!

Even more of a problem is that Behringer have yet to fix it or rollback the app to a stable version. Bit of a drag after almost 4 months!!

What's up with the app?

I've got some shows coming up where we carry an X32 to get us out of trouble if one of the house desks isn't up to scratch. Those days tend to be the days where all spare time disappears so it would be nice to have a heads up on potential problems. In demo mode the app looks really good.

Cheers,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
I've not hammered all the features of the app, but I've done a couple of 16-input bands with it controlling the X32 rack (5 monitor mixes) and some small cabaret shows (wide mix of sources all in all), and so far no problems. Only got the unit mid December so suspect I have the 'latest' version fo the app, my iPad isn't handy today.

Archived