Programming a timecoded cue stack

Richard CSL

I am being asked to produce a timecoded track for a customer.

I am using Magic Q. and will be triggering the music track from within the cuestack.

I was wondering how do others go about the process of creating the cuestack

I import the song into an audio program with timing, then I go through and register the timing changes, I then create a blank cuestack, I then type in the timecode timings for each cue.

Finally I create the lighting cues for each change.

I was just wondering if there is a quicker way, ie using learn timing, or create the lighting cuestack first.??

I believe there is a record mode wherein you create the cue stack first then simply play the music and hit Go at the appropriate times. MQ records the timing. Presumably you can go back and edit the times afterwards to tweak/perfect it.

Record mode will only ever be a rough ready reckoner - it relys on your own reaction speed and complex timecoded shows need much more precison. We use Inqscribe as a timecode cuelist maker and playback system and then export the cuelist and timecode data directly into the MA2 console - in fact whatever show we are doing be it timecode or not we use this method to get all the blank cues in the desk before we programme.

Archived