Showtex Ultra Black rather than Wool Serge?

wovenlights

Hi All,

I am leading the fit out of a totally refitted out theatre and originally specified Wool Serge but were persuaded to go for Ultra Black by Showtex as we have a mix of LED lights and Tungsten. This was on the back of some blogs/reports, a small sample and that they are putting it in many places (the Stage Engineering Contractor has done a fantastic job in all areas and I do not doubt him). Now it has arrived we are far from convinced under work lights it really looks very shiny, in some ways it is too black compared to the painted black of the roof and stage, and it feels more like a House Curtain rather than borders/legs/cross stage blacks. I wonder do other users have glowing endorsements or do you keep some wool serge as well in stock? The links I have about its use are Showtex generated so some independent comment would be much appreciated.

The venue will be touring content, alternative theatre, dance, music etc in a super studio settting, it is not showy.

The stage lights arrive tomorrow and a first thing will be to look at it under stage conditions. Showtex and the supplier are here on Tuesday to review...... would be great to have some comments over the next couple of days.

Best wishes

Paul Davies

Attenborough Centre, University of Sussex (ex Gardiner Centre).

Not the same exact product, but black Velour is pretty common over here instead of BWS. All of my current stage draperies are velour. And yes, they do look a bit shiny under work lights, but I think they're actually "blacker" under stage lights. I wouldn't worry.

Archived