Switch pack to control fluorescents

mefju

What is a cheapest way do control fluorescent fixtures (36W-72W) by DMX? I found a DMX-driven relays, for about 200Euros.

I also was thinking about buying demultiplexer (DMX to 1-10V) and connecting relays to it.

Will it works? Is it save (assuming optoisolated demux)?

maciek

What is a cheapest way do control fluorescent fixtures (36W-72W) by DMX? I found a DMX-driven relays, for about 200Euros.     

I also was thinking about buying demultiplexer (DMX to 1-10V)  and connecting relays to it. 

Will it works? Is it save (assuming optoisolated demux)? 

maciek

The Demux idea will only work providing that you can set a switch dimming curve in the demux. If not the relay will be a little unhappy receiving varying voltage which is what will be output from the demux without a switch curve.

If you happy to use a soldering iron, I have a design for a DMX Relay that I am just about to put details of on my website, It controls 3 relays (number was arrived at by the space on the PCB, I only needed 1 for a smoke machine controller as it happens, but I thought I might as well have the circuit handle 3 just incase I thought of something else in the future).

I estimate that it costs in the region of £30 - £40 to make one, maybe a bit less, but there are not many parts to it. When I get the detail son the site I'll actually price up the parts.

I'll post the link when its up, in the mean time feel free to email me for details.

Regards

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on your DMX relay Ben? Is this a 240v relay or just LV?

I'm also looking for a single channel DMX 240v relay to use as a portable non-dim for hazers etc. The showtech version linked above is described as a "switch and dimmer unit". This sounds to me like a dimmer with a switch curve and not a true relay unit.

Any news on your DMX relay Ben?  Is this a 240v relay or just LV?

I'm also looking for a single channel DMX 240v relay to use as a portable non-dim for hazers etc.  The showtech version linked above is described as a "switch and dimmer unit".  This sounds to me like a dimmer with a switch curve and not a true relay unit.

I posted the schematic and a few details in the Effects & Pyro section.

I still have not got round to sorting out the other details on the website yet, maybe I'll get time soon ;)

The relay coil is 5v, depending on the relay you pick will depend on the current you can pass through its contacts.

Regards

Ben

The original post mentioned relays, so I'm assuming he means on/off, not dimming. My old STM's with a 500W ghost load are quite happy firing up UV tubes - why not try yours and see if they light?

Inductive load.

STMs are quite ruggedly built and hard fire, output, triac er scr held on.

Some dimmers don`t hard fire, they trigger output and expect it to stay on until zero cross, domestic dimmers tend to be of this type and some `professional`dimmers, some may have a `snubber network` that helps mitigates below problem.

Inductive loads i.e. like ballast in fluro tube and trafo in pinspot , dont like this as inductive element drags current and voltage out of phase,output device sees none of what it likes and switches off, coil in inductive load sees open circuit at output device, collapsing magnetic field can greate weird and nor so wonderful voltages that flash over your ballast or trafo windings rendering them brown bread, dead.

There are 0-10V dimming fluro ballasts that make the demux route one way.

DMX relay is going to be best of dimming ain`t a requirement.

Archived