Anytronics/Contractor 12-24

Fiona

Anyone have any prior experience of these dimmers? Originally I was hoping for LD90's with the rcd protection ( this is part of the theatre refit that I mentioned a few months ago), unfortunately money isn't going to strech that far, so the company have suggested buying these cheaper dimmers as a good alternative.....any thoughts - praise or criticisms of them much appreciated!!

Thanks everso........ <_<

Kate,

I've no actual experience of these. However...

I do not regard Anytronics as one of the mainstream stage lighting controls manufacturers, and in my opinion it would make more sense to go for a more "industry standard" option.

Others may disagree, but how frequently are Anytronics products encountered in the real world? I have never seen them installed in a theatre and I only know of one hire company (working mainly in the corporate conference market) that has their dimmers for hire.

For only a fraction more (at list prices, £30 for the 12 way and £125 for the 24 way) you can get the Zero 88 Chilli range (Chilli 12-10i and Chilli 24-10i). You can get an RCD option as well, and that does increase the price differential a bit more.

In your position, I'd go for Zero 88 as they are a well regarded major manufacturer and a household name. I can personally vouch for the quality of their technical support. Anytronics may well be as good, but I've never dealt with them.

Comparing the two company's web sites is worth doing.

Installation companies often push particular manufacturers because they make more profit from them than the alternatives. But remember that you are the customer, a re-fit happens once in a blue moon, and you want to get it right for both now and the generations to come.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

I could be completely wrong, but don’t Anytronics concentrate more on architectural lighting rather than theatre based? I have never used there kit so can’t really comment on it but it may be something to bear in mind if the company doesn’t have a background in supplying products to theatre type venues.

hmmm, I suppose Kate would be short for..... oh never mind

Ike

I could be completely wrong, but don’t Anytronics concentrate more on architectural lighting rather than theatre based?

Ike

Anytronics are far from just architectural dimming manufacturers. We have supplied and installed lots of the 12 way rack mounted dimmers with MCD's and local control fitted into a few television studios.

The contractor 12 and 24 is a very compact dimmer unit, well suited for the smaller venue especially such as schools and colleges...... compared to the LD 90's.... a real snip price wise also. The ones we have installed over the past few years have given no trouble whatsoever.

You will also see quite a few companies using them in smaller touring racks........ especially the 12 way 3U dimmers.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've used Anytronics Kit once and was slightly worried to find the DMX pins on the chassis mounted male XLR to all be a bit wonky - I had to tease them into place to accept the DMX in on several racks ;) Small issue of cheap components but could leave you in serious #### if a pin was forced and broke off etc.

Also dimming curve (on rig of mostly 1kw cans) was a bit fiesty. People are hiring the Act 6/ Betapack style ones though (but for how long?).

Matt

I haven't actually anything useful to add to this topic, but thought I might as well just join in on the strength of the name thing! ;) Sorry you won't be getting your LD90s Fiona, we've got them here, and they're ok.

Bob :blink:

sorry should have got back to you all on this one....have managed to get the LD90's - just about squeezed them out of the budget - they go in on the 18th August - along with new LX bars, independants, DMX and new LX desk....needless to say I'm a happy chappy!!!! ;)

Archived