mains power question

IA76

Forgive me for possibly being ignorant but I don't see a big difference in terms of liability between modifying the amp and building your own mains voltage enclosure? Obviously both have risk involved but it seems like they are a similar level of risk - if you're not competent th custom build mains relay could be even more dodgy than the modified amp.

Din relay mounted in the distribution board and a dedicated 6A circuit or something to a single socket could do it nice and neatly

Forgive me for possibly being ignorant but I don't see a big difference in terms of liability between modifying the amp and building your own mains voltage enclosure? Obviously both have risk involved but it seems like they are a similar level of risk - if you're not competent th custom build mains relay could be even more dodgy than the modified amp.

Well amps are quite complex and the user may be connected to them via a mic or handheld audio player. Therefore if the amp were to catch fire, electrify the user or even just blow up the speakers the fact that you had been inside it and modified it would make the manufacturer deny all responsibility and point the finger at you, even if it was probably nothing to do with your modification.

Whereas a self contained mains switcher has somewhat less risk, though I can still see an insurance company coming after you if something happened.

(I used to be all for self-mods like this but have learned about insurance company buck-passing from a few bad experiences...)

+1 for do not modify the amplifier. Do not consider it.

The relay and base Tim mentioned will sit on its side in a deep pattress box with a double 13A socket on the front. A remote plugtop power supply rated for the relay coil voltage can turn the relay on and off through a lump of bell wire. I've made one for myself. If I can find a way of posting a picture here, I'll do that so that a picture can tell a thousand words!

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Archived