Drinking and Driving (The desk)

How many drinks allowed before you are not allowed to run the lighting desk??  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How many drinks allowed before you are not allowed to run the lighting desk??

• 1 Pint
    • 2 pints
    • 3 pints
    • 4 pints
    • 4+ Pints
    • No Thanks a cuppa with a digestive for me please!!

I think it also kind of depends on the gig: Theatre is a bit different to a rock gig (as I've said before, I need a San Miguel or two before I can bring myself to flash parcans...)

(PS: I've edited the spelling mistake in the subtitle - hope it wasn't deliberate)

Having the misfortune to work an "amateur" show were the SM and Sound operator ideas of "professionalism" was to down a 6 pack of special..... during the course of the show, then spent an evening swearing at the cast and crew, whilst making a pigs ear of their duties. I vote for zero tolerance before and during. <_<

Afterwards... that's a differnet matter make mine a 6X.

They were quite put out when they were told that their services would never again be required. :P

I've worked with far better 10 to 14 year olds in summer workshops, some of our youngsters are very good. :)

yeah - so true.

a long while ago, I did an amateur show where the [adult + 'pro'] SM crew had had one too many and were fairly out of it, which is bad enough as it is, but then the next day that they were perfectly justified and had carried out their duties to an acceptable standard!

the thing is that I recently did the same show with an amateur crew that some friends and I trained, they did a brilliant job and were mentioned in the press for their work!

these crew were all in the age range of 11-16. they were in there for a part of their drama course and hadn't done any shows before.

Now, I know that I don't strictly count as a professional tech as I don't earn my living from it, but I do maintain high standards of work and do get a small addition to my wallet for the work that I do.

I have found other amateurs to be ranging from the thouroughly incompetent to some of the best techs that I have had the honour of learning under.

these people who call thenselves 'pro's are bringing a bad name onto the industry. the analogy of the ark seemed true for that case.

anyway, I digress.

I think that before and during a show, there should be NO booze at all in any technical areas, partially for the effects that it has on crew, but also, mainly, for the increased risk that an inebriated boar op. will knock liquid into the kit and fry all the innards.

this can be a huge hazard with three phase supplies near the stage. and if there were any H+S inspectors around, they would be having babies if they saw some of the things that I have seen (and then tried bloody hard to stop).

damn good rule for work - if they can't legally drive a car, they are too far gone to work - at height especially.

bye, andrew clunie

The number of riders I see these days with the words 'Clean and sober local crew' scares me. Where are these shows going that they get the other type <_<

Also done an ammie show where the director was in it and was so p*ssed he forgot to put his eye patch on but he forgot most of his lines as well...

No drinkies before or during a show I'm involved in.

After... well that's a different matter

No drinking before or during a show/shift where I am.

Never had a problem with professional shows (after all, it is work), it's the amateurs where their two shows a year are a real social event.

However, that aspect is more or less under control now. It may be a hobby for them, but it's a potentially dangerous one, and I think they appreciate that now...

alan.

I think it also kind of depends on the gig:  Theatre is a bit different to a rock gig (as I've said before, I need a San Miguel or two before I can bring myself to flash parcans...)

(PS: I've edited the spelling mistake in the subtitle - hope it wasn't deliberate)

<_<

hehehehehehe is that the same as it depends on how far one has to drive after a skin full???

Archived