Lighting for an X-factor style show

Charlotte_R

Hi All,

So the amateur dramatics group that I'm a member of is putting on a production of a self written pantomime that features a large section of an X-factor style show, and I have been asked to do the lighting (amongst other things).

My initial thought was to put a group of moving lights on the back of the stage (2 or 4), but I think this will be too expensive for our shoe-string budget. Can you suggest any alternatives to the moving lights?

The other issue is a severe lack of dimmer channels - we have 3 x 6-channel dimmers, but only 2 x 32A sockets (I was going to try and use the other dimmer for specials, plugged into a 13A socket). So, from my conservative estimate, I think there are a maximum of 14 dimmer channels. I worry that after providing washes for the stage and illumination for the judges, that there won't be any channels left for fancy flashing lights - hence why I wanted to look at moving lights.

Also, can anyone recommend good, cheap hire places in Birmingham?

Thanks,

C

Perhaps some pin spots or other narrow beam fixture (possibly led) arranged in a couple of fan patterns to make some beams in the haze. They don't need to be movers as in the reak show - switching between the different fan patterns could look effective. You don't have to replicate the x-factor but just suggest the razzamatazz.

Maybe some sort of moonflower style effect, in order to get some rotating beams behind the cast? These would be a relatively cheap hire compared to "proper" movers.

I'd be tempted by that, plus some haze to make it worth while, as with all of the effects described.

Really though I'd just do the best job I could of the conventional lighting design with 14 channels. I'd use different coloured back light \ presence or absence of side (if you can pair enough to make it possible) to make each act look different. For side light (and any floor cans) you can have crew change gel between acts to increase the number of options.

Go back to the days of pre movers, mirror balls, lots of small lamps on a chaser for set dressing which could be done with led strings now, make up some big X signs to run off a dimmer channel. Has your desk extra channels to use DMX led controllers ?

If they cannot give you a large lighting budget then they should try and give you an interesting set to work with. You can repatch during the show to vary effects used so you are not repeating the same thing. If you can get scanners, they are usually cheaper and will still provide moving beams.

Have a look at early game show sets

Hire company in Brum.. Paul and Matt at Pacific Sound and Light. Tell them I sent you, sure Paul will probably see this post and comment as well!

Hi Al, on like a car bonet-

pm me and I will send a hire list, and discuss your requirements

cheers

Maybe you could go glitzy instead - a silver slash curtain is very cheap and whatever lights you have will look great. Realistically, the X-Factor style programmes rely on bucket loads of lights to make it look what is is, and half a dozen movers will be more disco, the X Factor. A silver slash can look sparkly and different.

Archived