GU 1 0 Plug

lite_lad

So a slightly strange one, doing a job which is going to require plugging into a GU10 socket (we've done the relevant checks and this is the best solution for our needs, and it is only needed to plug in some different low wattage lamps so wont be an issue - just don't want this to turn into a thread about whether we should be doing this!) as that is the only power available nearby and due to the temporary nature we cant attach cables to get to the right location.

SO the issue is I can't find a GU10 plug, I've found some adaptors to various other lamp types which we could then wire into but these would protrude quite a lot and not look so nice. Does anyone know of a supplier who sells these or is there some reason (other than a lack of demand!) that they don't exist?

As what you want to do sounds like a bit of a bodge why not go the whole hog and make your own out of some fluorescent light starters. Take the top off, cut out the innards, solder wires to terminals. Thread thru new hole in lid. Click back together. Job done??? Just don't say I suggested it :-)

It does sound a bit of a bodge, but if you are certain that it is safe, then I would make your own adaptors out of dead lamps. The LED /CFL types come apart fairly easily, solder your output lead to the internal connections, and fill the void around the connections with epoxy putty to provide electrical insulation and strain relief.

I will reluctantly admit to having done this for Christmas lights. A Christmas tree with lights was required in the middle of a room without any leads trailing from a socket on a wall. There was a GU10 fitting in just the right place :rolleyes:

Archived