Amplifier problem

dfinn

Hi,

On our audiohead 2400 amp powering our bass bins at school we have a bit of a problem. The left side of the amp shows no signal. The right hand side is fine.

The system runs from mixer via 2 XLRs into an ultradrive pro where is is split into 4 outputs, 1 and 3 being lows and 2 and 4 being highs

1 and 3 go into the 2400 and 2 and 4 go into out audiohead 1800.

now I have tried many things to get it to work.

swapped output 1 9the left side) for 3 but still left side is dead.

Tried the trs input but got nothing

checked the configs on the ultradrive.

changed leads.

I have a horrid feeling that its something internal on the amp. If so has anyone got any ideas what it could be? I wont take it apart but would like to know what might be wrong.

Thanks

Daniel

Disconnect EVERYTHING on the right (working) side of the amp. You should now be left with inly 2 connections on the left side amp - the signal input and the output to the speakers.

Disconnect these and reconnect them to the right hand inputs and outputs. Test.

If it works that way, then your speakers, crossover and cables are fine, and the fault lies in the amp.

As to the nature of the fault: If you're lucky, it might be an internal fuse. Or it could be any of half a dozen other things. Don't poke around inside unless you know what you're doing...

Bruce.

Hi,

Would the power led be on on the left side of the amp if the internal fuse had blown, if so it is on both sides.

Cheers

Daniel

A typical failure mode for a lot of amps is a single output device failure which cacan cause a cascade failure of all the output transistors on a given polarity on that channel (and some of the other, is most cases.) The net result is either no output, or a DC offset, which will cause the protection circuits to not engage. Depending on how the amp is built, the power supply is still fine, so the power on indicator may well still be lit.

If the amp has fuses on the power feeds (one for DC+ and one for DC-) then blowing a fuse can also cause and offset and protection.

I am not familiar with this brand, so can't provide much more, but I have worked on a fair amount, and the way power amps fail is almost scarily similar, despite the brand . . .

- Tim

Archived