Cow costume for college pantomime

Amanda Cook

Hello.

I am currently in search of a cow costume for our college pantomime Jack and the Beanstalk. Obviously with it being a college show we don't have a lot of money to splash about (even though at this point a budget hasn't been assigned, we have assumed we will have quite a low budget to work with). So if anyone knows of any good costume hiring companies that are reliable and affordable that would be extremely helpful.

If not, any tips are welcome to help us create our own cow costume.

How long is the run and how much time could you put in to making one?

Normally hiring would be initially much cheaper than making but as you are students, or free labour, it may be worth looking at making your own if you have the time.

There are plenty of hire companies but where are you, transport for a large box of beef could get expensive.

How long is the run and how much time could you put in to making one?

Normally hiring would be initially much cheaper than making but as you are students, or free labour, it may be worth looking at making your own if you have the time.

There are plenty of hire companies but where are you, transport for a large box of beef could get expensive.

Well we have up until about a week before the show. The show itself is on the 25th and the 26th of November. Our college is in Lincoln, which is in Lincolnshire. We're not necessarily worried about transport as we have a couple of people we know with vans.

For hiring try York Theatre Royal. I'm fairly sure that Berwick has featured a dancing bovine in the past but this year it's the meerkat that's got centre stage so you may be in luck!

Thank you, fingers crossed ay!

Where's your nearest student area? It seems the current trend is for our impoverished, cash strapped students around here to need to spend a small fortune every year hiring fancy dress so they can properly enjoy their nights out (I don't know how they manage without!). I've seen more than a few panto cows out on pub crawls around here.

If they're priced to be student friendly then it might be an easier way to go. No doubt they're hired per day rather than per week, but you might be able to strike a deal with a fancy dress shop for a cheap hire. I know it's not free, but it might be cheaper than the fuel to go collect a free one.

Look first at your internal skills! Students have a very wide skills base usually. These days transport costs probably exceed the cost of a hire so may prove that the DIY approach is good for you. Also if a small group has made the cow they get a real thing to talk about at interview for later employment.

Archived