Retractable Staircase

michaelyallop

Just a thought we have had about a retractable staircase for our next show. Nothing too big, just 4 or 5 steps, but it needs to retract flat.

Has anyone else attempted this and have any ideas of how to do it. I have a vague idea of what to do but just thought I'd ask to see if anyone else had actually done it before and could shed some light.

Thanks

Mick

Built a small one once on the principles of a chest of drawers style design. The lower tread fitted inside the next one up with all the sides reaching to the floor resting on castors. When drawer one reached full travel a pair of stop-blocks pulled out the one above and so on.

There is almost certainly a simpler way but I stopped thinking at that point. Too idle.

Built a small one once on the principles of a chest of drawers style design. The lower tread fitted inside the next one up with all the sides reaching to the floor resting on castors. When drawer one reached full travel a pair of stop-blocks pulled out the one above and so on.

There is almost certainly a simpler way but I stopped thinking at that point. Too idle.

Great. Thanks for your reply. I was thinking along the same lines. How did you retract it? Was it pushed/pulled from the front or from the rear?

Archived