Bluetooth Cans System

egri

I'm looking to get a cans system for up to 12 people. The ASL basic series would be perfect, except that it's quite expensive. I'm hoping there might be an alternative.

Someone I know has suggested the possibility of a 'bluetooth cans system' which he claimed was possible as he'd heard-of/seen-it before somewhere. The only other information that he could give me was that it would involve 2 bluetooh hubs with 10m range (1 for the stage, 1 for the auditorium), and ordinary bluetooth headsets, and possibly a laptop. Now, I don't know loads about bluetooth, but this idea sounds beyonds its capabilities, but there's a chance it could work, and it would be cheaper than an ASL basic series cans system.

Anyway, you can't just grab a bunch of bluetooth headsets mean't for mobile phones and expect them to communicate with each other. Secondly, I've yet to see a bluetooth hub that isn't mean't for a mouse. Perhaps some other form of bluetooth hardware could be used, like a few bluetooth dongles connected to a laptop. And the laptop could be programmed to recieve the audio from the headsets, mix it all together, and then send it back out. This software would need a bluetooth library. It might be possible with a something called BlueZ which runs on Linux. Do you think this is possible or impossible and Is this a good idea? A cans system should have the ability for users to turn their mic off, could that be done with this? Any comments woudl be appreciated, or suggestions for a cans system.

I'd guess that it is possible, but the range is very short (10m in near-perfect conditions, much less in reality), and the complexity of the software required will make it a very time-consuming business to put together.

If you want a very cheap system, then a party-line telephone-based system is probably the cheapest and most reliable.

You'd need a psu, telephone cable, some cheap telephones and headsets.

When you think about it as tomo said the range isn't all that good so you would need ports every 10m which could be around 10 or more. The dongles I've seen are £50 thats £500 plus the programe headsets etc etc. But then will it work?

If you want a very cheap system, then a party-line telephone-based system is probably the cheapest and most reliable.

Can you elaborate on how this would work. Where can I get a PSU for this?

Can you elaborate on how this would work. Where can I get a PSU for this?

See http://www.blue-room.org.uk/lofiversion/index.php/t4809.html :rolleyes:

Try Showlite Communications (www.radio-hire.biz). I've got a set of active cans right here on my desk (Sordin). They've got a built in mic, a jack for comms and there's a set that can hook up with bluetoth. Showlite should help - one of their chaps did mention the possibility of a 10-user bluetooth system.

There was a dect-based comms system around a couple of years back but I can't remember the name.

Try Showlite Communications (www.radio-hire.biz). I've got a set of active cans right here on my desk (Sordin). They've got a built in mic, a jack for comms and there's a set that can hook up with bluetoth. Showlite should help - one of their chaps did mention the possibility of a 10-user bluetooth system.

There was a dect-based comms system around a couple of years back but I can't remember the name.

I *think* it's quail. Canford has it in the Communication and Datacomms section (surprisingly enough!). It can support 10 or 20 uses depending on your base station, and you need the basestation, a "registration point" below it (RJ45 outlet I think) and enough beltpacks.

I haven't used this system though so can't tell you any more..

Dan

Archived