Flying cables

the kid

Bit of an odd question,

Having just rigged a big mirror ball that needed to drop up and down and spin at the same time.

This was on ~10m drop with the line for the rotator all the way down.

Truss

motor (up)

rotator

ball

Now the line would get caught and snagged as it went down so my initial solution was to tack with tape, as it was only going down once. Then someone said "oh just run a shackle round the chain and cable tie the line to the pin and it will collect and let out as needed, I still see a risk of the line snagging but it has worked. IT took some practice to get working but it did, however is there a better way?

I am thinking loops up on truss so regardless it will be coming from above and never have a chance of snagging but am I right that unless you have a inertia wheel that is not happening ?

when we have done this with large mirror balls we either have the power cable to the rotator on an inertia reel so it keeps the cable tensioned, or we have used chain runners with the cable attached (your shackle is a simple version).

when we have a big led screen or moving set with a large cable loom we have added an additional kinesys motor programmed to pay in/out the cable loom as required as the set moves.

Bit of an odd question,

Having just rigged a big mirror ball that needed to drop up and down and spin at the same time.

This was on ~10m drop with the line for the rotator all the way down.

Truss

motor (up)

rotator

ball

Now the line would get caught and snagged as it went down so my initial solution was to tack with tape, as it was only going down once. Then someone said "oh just run a shackle round the chain and cable tie the line to the pin and it will collect and let out as needed, I still see a risk of the line snagging but it has worked. IT took some practice to get working but it did, however is there a better way?

I am thinking loops up on truss so regardless it will be coming from above and never have a chance of snagging but am I right that unless you have a inertia wheel that is not happening ?

Archived