Photo Upload

Ken Coker

What is our favoured method of uploading pics at the moment?

Thanks

KC

Stick them on the web somewhere (Photobucket works for me) then paste a link.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/Andrew_C/20130129_1429051_zpsee986afc.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/Andrew_C/20130129_1429051_zpsee986afc.jpg

By the way children, whilst it might not do wobbly lights, this is a REAL lighting desk. Requires dexterity, planning ahead, and 15 fingers.

Can people see this image? a Facebook image on a friends page, not mine? As I'm his friend, the link works for me - but I wonder if others can't see it? It is, however, a more 'real' lighting desk than Andrew's one!

Paul, I can see it and I have nothing to do with FB at all.

It looks very much like the first lighting board I ever used, though Andrew's pic looks like the last one I used before I wandered in to the Wardrobe Department, found the biscuits are better here, and stayed.

Can people see this image? a Facebook image.......

Facebook is blocked from where I work, so no.

(On my phone - yes - eventually - slow connection, despite the fact it claims to be 3G and I have a full meter bar <_<

I have a Facebook account but have not logged in for several years

Edit for clarification.

Can people see this image?

Yes I can see the photo no problem. I also started on one of these at school a long time ago, a Strand Electric Senior Sunset (sixth photo down) - mine was 28 channels (27 dimmers + switched AUX) whereas the one in the photo is bigger with 36 channels. Several of the dimmers could be patched up to three ways on a switching board which is out of the picture, and we had another 10 channels added on the opposite wall later on (simple rheostat ones). So a big change could be quite a major event with multiple sets of arms, legs, knees involved. Even though this was a boys school, we merged drama groups with our sister school... By the time I started lighting in 1968, the number of lanterns had increased significantly from in the photo (so I think it is closer to 1960 in the photos) and the old "black boxes" were consigned to filling gaps. However you can see that this was a real stage with real lighting even if the hall itself was far from ideal.

In those days you had to rehearse every lighting cue of any significance to try and make it possible. How many can you gang onto a wheel (you screw the handle onto a shaft which can then be turned by the wheel at the end of that row) and how many can you gang together (the wheels can be chained together in different configurations - you can have single x 4, double x 2, three x 1 + single x 1, or all four together.). It is not as simple it sounds as as the wheel(s) will stop when the first one reaches zero, there was no clutch to allow others to continue.

However as I progressed to preset desks and then onto memory controls and now on a Chamsys MQ60, I understand what is going on probably better than many younger people today as I have physically done what the computer is doing (as tracking would do as our cue sheets had changes circled in red).

Finally - in those days there was no "elf and safety" and the boys ran the backstage team themselves, fifth and sixth formers nominally in charge. We lived on the stage - before school, break, lunch, after school, holidays - and sometimes during school time as there were plenty of very high places to hide. Those were the days!

Archived