Headset upgrade recommendations

KidRay

Having issues with a headset mic distorting and generally poor quality.

The system is a sennheiser xsw 52 with the standard mic supplied with the system.

Singer varies between backing vox and lead vox and is much louder when lead vox.

The mic has seen quite a bit of use and a few gallons of sweat so due replacement anyway.

What would you recommend as a slight upgrade ( don't want to break the bank!)

E2a headset is me3c used on loud stage (Tina turner tribute band)

Having issues with a headset mic distorting and generally poor quality.

The system is a sennheiser xsw 52 with the standard mic supplied with the system.

Singer varies between backing vox and lead vox and is much louder when lead vox.

The mic has seen quite a bit of use and a few gallons of sweat so due replacement anyway.

What would you recommend as a slight upgrade ( don't want to break the bank!)

E2a headset is me3c used on loud stage (Tina turner tribute band)

If this is not a new problem then it's far more likely that the sensitivity is set incorrectly so the beltpack is overloading. I'd try adjusting the sensitivity first.

For cheap replacements for the Sennheiser ME3 that the system is supplied with look at

http://cpc.farnell.com/pulse/hsm-700-lj/headset-microphone-3-5mm-locking/dp/MP34751

It's only in the last few gigs that it's been obviously distorted. Will check the sensitivity as you suggest.

It's never been the greatest mic in the world so wondering whether an upgrade to something better would help.

It's only in the last few gigs that it's been obviously distorted. Will check the sensitivity as you suggest.

It's never been the greatest mic in the world so wondering whether an upgrade to something better would help.

Headset mics are basically a consumable item it doesn't matter how much you spend on them they will die fairly regularly. We did some testing between the CPC headsets and Sennheiser ones and once some gentle EQ had been applied we couldn't reliably tell the difference. This was with d&b PA and an M7CL.

You might like to take a look at the Mogen; I think it's a real step up from the CPC headsets in usability and quality, and it is much more robust. And it is a decent price.

Since Googling this only offers a choice between German declensions and a circumcision clamp http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif, do you have a link to these...?

You might like to take a look at the Mogen; I think it's a real step up from the CPC headsets in usability and quality, and it is much more robust. And it is a decent price.

Since Googling this only offers a choice between German declensions and a circumcision clamp http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif, do you have a link to these...?

Ha! Sorry! I'm using the Standard Earset.

Just a quick update.

Haven't had a chance to check the body pack yet for sensitivity setting, but another band member has picked up a Shure wh-30 headset at a bargain price. It was bundled in with a sm58 wireless mic and receiver, including the bodypack (slx-1).

Band politics dictate that he doesn't want to donate the entire system, so can the Shure headset be used with the sennheiser system with a suitable adapter?

Just wondering as the Shure is a condenser mic and needs phantom power (I think!)

Archived