Windows Media Encoder & Macs

nickb12345

I am in the process of setting up a streaming system using Windows Media Encoder and have had some problems getting a mac to view the stream. I have it working fine in Windows Media Player on Windows but cant get any mac applications to view it!

Does anyone know if its possible? And/or an application that will do similar and work with macs and windows?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

As far as I am aware, windows media streaming doesn't play in anything other than Windows Media Player.

Microsoft haven't released a player for Macintosh, and Virtual PC is probably going to be very slow, although it is worth a try.

Your best bet is probably Darwin Streaming Server, an open-source Quicktime streaming server.

Haven't tried it - this is the first time I've heard of it! But it has reached version 5 so it's probably pretty stable.

Without doing any research on it, isnt virtual PC a remote desktop type program?

The system is to be used for streaming live video and audio (from cameras and mics in the college theatre) across the computer network to classrooms around the site where it will be projected onto 'virtual whiteboards'.

The quality needs to be good enough for a projector resolution and needs to support multi clients at once!

I will have a look at the quick time one mentioned and thanks for the replies!

Nick

Windows Media Player for Mac is available here.  No idea if it does streaming media though - I just use it to play downloaded media.  But it does exist!

Well whaddya know! I just searched the MS site for one and it didn't tell me about it.

Probably because it spotted that I'm running WinXP Home - maybe I should piddle around with my user-agent string so nobody recognises it!

• 2 weeks later...

Your best option is to use QuickTime to stream video. Forget MediaPlayer - nasty clunky program. QT can be read by PC and Mac, is open source so the software is not only stable but developing all the time and better still not feeding Microsofts coffers and the available codecs for quick time are getting better and better all the time. Look at using MPEG2 if you have a really high band width or MPEG4 or DV if you have less or when Apple H 264 becomes widly usable give ti a try. These will give small files and high quality. However, if you have to use Media Player is can be built into mac app for media streaming but is far slower and less reliable than Media player.

Hope that is of help.

Archived