PC lighting control

Marineboy63

We're looking to replace one of our desks with a PC based solution.

It needs to be simple and visually straightforward as it will be used by non technical people.

The ones I've looked at so far (Lightfactory, Showmagic) might be good but aren't obvious enough.

Can anyone recommend something with an easy visual interface with obvious faders for channels and groups?

Cheers.

We're looking to replace one of our desks with a PC based solution.

It needs to be simple and visually straightforward as it will be used by non technical people.

The ones I've looked at so far (Lightfactory, Showmagic) might be good but aren't obvious enough.

Can anyone recommend something with an easy visual interface with obvious faders for channels and groups?

Cheers.

Hi Paul,

Have you taken a look at Jands Vista ?

Simple, Powerful, Visual, is actually Vista's tagline and what it was designed from the ground up to be. There are a number of license packages or wings available for PC or Mac that all run the same intuitive software.

We have huge success with the market sector you mention hence the reason for my post. I have sent you a PM with my contact details should you wish to learn more or discuss in further detail.

Thanks

Jack

ChamSys Magic Q has a simple 48 channel, 10 sub, panel that looks like a small manual desk. Software is free, but you need a £10 or £50 (+ VAT) USB- DMX dongle.

And one can set up an Executor page so that it's all very idiot proof - "House Lights: Press this Button"; oh and one can make it default to a show/screen on start up. The £10 Chamsys dongle has a session limit on it, but I think 5 hours is more than enough lighting time - and it's three-pin. £60 is unlimited and gives you five-pins.

I personally prefer the Avolites Titan one dongle because it does most of the above I believe - I don't actually use mine like that - and goes off to get me a gin and tonic when I get bored. It's about £100 I think.

Get a good track-ball rather than a mouse.....yes I know you're getting a touch screen...

Neither system will let you add MIDI control I believe.

Both systems have extensive tutorials on-line.

Sorry, I've just been told that the G&T function is only in development for Titan v10.

KC

You can't do a user-designed control screen with Titan like you can with Magic Q. For the OP's requirement I think Titan One would be too complicated.

This is probably the dullest topic on the BR....apart from the one about tungsten.....so let's talk about the cricket...

One can set the playback page on a Titan to be pretty much the same as executor buttons. (Cries from Chamsys Corner: "Oh my god, but one can't do faders...the man's a heretic...burn him")

However.....Avo man that I am, ten quid for a fairly reasonable lighting system strikes me as a bargain. (I have one, and a T1 and a Titan Mobile).

Must go now as burly men from Southampton are outside my door with blazing pitchforks..

KC

One can set the playback page on a Titan to be pretty much the same as executor buttons.

True, but lots of other buttons remain visible which can quickly render the thing unusable if touched. You can make MagicQ a bit more idiot proof.

I love the Titan One and would choose it over the MagicDMX dongle for most applications but it isn't the tool for this job. Anyway as you say it's a nice day outside.

Have a look at VenueMagic Show Control too - www.venuemagic.co.uk the company I work for distribute it in the UK and Europe as well as DMX King DMX dongles & Art-Net / sACN Products.

It's a great reliable software package and the full version can control not only DMX Lighting but also Audio and Video too. I've used it on anything from live gigs to conferences through to full theatrical stage productions and it's never let me down. VenueMagic can also export out onto Weigl Show Control hardware so it works really well for exhibitions, themed attractions and theme parks.

Archived