Strand ML250, Qlab and MagicQ

Roderick

Looking at buying a Strand 250ML for my local community theatre.

One of the conditions is that it must be able to be triggered by QLab through MIDI, something the existing board doesn't do.

Downloaded a copy of the Operators Manual, found how it can use MIDI to trigger channels but not how to trigger whole Q's.

Can anyone explain me how to do that?

Cheers, Roderick

Looking at buying a Strand 250ML for my local community theatre.

One of the conditions is that it must be able to be triggered by QLab through MIDI, something the existing board doesn't do.

Downloaded a copy of the Operators Manual, found how it can use MIDI to trigger channels but not how to trigger whole Q's.

Can anyone explain me how to do that?

Cheers, Roderick

Roderick, save yourself the worry and find another desk. This one is buggy as hell, and Strand's support has been woeful, they just don't seem interested in developing it, or even fixing known bugs. A group of owners have been quite active on their forum to get it sorted, and suggesting improvements, pretty much to no avail. This is the last post on that forum:

Sadly, I have given up hope of this console being anywhere near fit for purpose after all this time. I have been trying to sell my hire stock one at half the price I paid for it with no luck as everyone I offer it to knows how bad it is. I guess it will end up covered in dust or I will put it on ebay and get nowhere near what I paid for it. Such a real shame as I thought Strand had the chance of a really good small desk. I for one will never buy Strand ever again, they have in my view gone back to the days of not listening to the customers.
I would put it in stronger terms than that.

Walk away

*EDIT* to add link to forum, so you can see for yourself: http://www.strand-dev.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=d28891074032a43deff100505a9e9218

Judging by the feedback here and on other forums, I may leave the Strand 250ML where it is, at the shop.

Still need to find a solution for the community theatre. Without having done any research, just curious if it is possible to have MagicQ triggered by Qlab?

I can see MagicQ with a decent PC wing work in most circumstances. Other than a PC, what hardware do I need for this set-up?

Just don't go for the LSC Maxim! Its a great desk for community theatre, in that it has both "fader per light" and more complex modes, but it too has a broken MIDI implementation, and it too has been in the "not being fixed" bucket for ages.

Just don't go for the LSC Maxim! Its a great desk for community theatre, in that it has both "fader per light" and more complex modes, but it too has a broken MIDI implementation, and it too has been in the "not being fixed" bucket for ages.

Unfortunately that is what the theatre bought two years ago...

It was sold to them as working with MSC but when it didn't and they complained to LSC the response was "Bad luck, we have no intention of fixing it". And that's why I am looking for other options.

If you want the maxim to run a cue stack from midi, use a midi controlled relay as a momentary closure across the Next button. That is what Geoff Holt did at the Garrick Theatre in Guilford, Western Australia to run the maxim from Show Cue System.

Moderation: I merged these two together as Roderick carried on the topic in another?

It is a little confusing because one discussion was about the Strand 250ML and the other about MagicQ.

Well, yes, but otherwise we get a new topic every time you find a desk and try to see if it works? Surely the manufacturers would advise if it accepts MSC, they'd be a good place to start? :)

Surely the manufacturers would advise if it accepts MSC, they'd be a good place to start? :)

You would think, wouldn't you, but we already have two examples in this thread where the manufacturers have..... been..... somewhat economic with the truth...

The trouble has always been with MIDI, that outside of the music environment, using it to trigger other things has always been a compromise. Musicians originally needed note on, note off, continuous controllers and program changes. Then we tried using these limited command to start and stop tracks, and change a state with a GO button. This sort of worked, but then we increased the number of buttons needed to control, faders, times etc - and it started to get mega complicated. I had a Behringer FCB1010 control and a fader panel - I gave up trying to make these work Cubase - Behringer sent me very detailed programming instructions to do what I needed for one project, and after that finished, I sold them!

It's a bit like DMX - MIDI connections work, but sending and receiving stuff that makes sense both ends is tricky!

Roderick - I've added the Strand into the title. Essentially the story suddenly stopped in one topic and continued in a new one - dropping the Strand and moving on. It makes sense to keep it together. If my buying practices are being talked about, I'd have loads of topics to get to my eventual destination - which we don't really do, especially as the search function is pretty awful in this version of the software - so finding the right bit of the story would be very problematic.

I believe you need the proper MIDI widget to get MIDI in and then you're good to go. Are you wanting to use separate machines to run Lx and Sx or do you want to try to use the same machine?

Just to clarify from a MagicQ side, We certainly do support both Midi notes and MSC for input into MagicQ for various things such as Playback Go, activate, release etc.

David is correct though, in order to use this with MagicQ PC, this must come through our ChamSys Midi/timecode interface.

Archived