wireless comms

Yes, I used one several years ago to interface with a set of Uniden PMR446 radios (now obsolete). It worked well but you have to press the call button on the beltpack to activate the PTT on the radio.

I suggest you hire one for a couple of weeks to try it before you commit to buying. Try 888 PRODUCTIONS in Lenzie near Glasgow (0141 776 7880).

This unit has been around for a long time now, back when we last tested (at least 10 years ago) it we found a frustrating process - the walkie talkies worked fine independently but when all connected up we had nothing but problems, we never did get to the bottom of it. However, it must be working for others as it's still available. I'd agree with the above, hire it first.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you have to press and hold the call button for a couple of seconds before speaking otherwise the squelch on the receivers doesn't cut in and the mobile person will miss the first word or two.

A second caveat is that the AD913 may not work with Stonewood (now marketed by Granite Sound) beltpacks as they pulse the signalling voltage on the line so the PTT may click in and out in sympathy. I stress the may not work as I haven't tried it.

If you don't mind doing a bit of cabling and tweaking, I'd suggest an alternative. The second hand price on real repeaters is now very low on ebay, or new from China. You can get a decent brand, continuous duty repeater for less than three hundred quid, and the license is not expensive for five years of use. You can use cheap imported radios and even if you need a duplexer, they're now available for less than sixty quid. You feed the comms line in, either through a proper 4 wire interface, or a home brew unit - and then uninterrupted comms goes to the radios, and pressing the PTT injects the transmitted audio back into the comms circuit. My experience of trying to key radios up with the flash button is pretty poor - words consistently get chopped off, and of course the purpose of being ablate flash vanishes! If you have multiple users on radios, they can hear everything and not just certain things.

Archived