Dusty Amplifier

Dave5000

They don't add the dust at the factory!

I have no idea about the finer details but the cooling properties inherent in the design won't work if the vents are clogged thus increasing the chance of the electronics working above their specified thermal range.

I'm sure that the conductivity on the PCBs is also affected by additional particles in the housing.

It's all part of the same reasons that your computer needs a regular clean.

Anyone got more details to hand?

I have recently cleaned a power amp out which was covered in dust and crap inside.

I have been told that it seems to be more powerful than before.

is this a possibility, or are they just imagining it?

Did you tell them that you'd cleaned it out before or after they told you it seemed more powerful? :rolleyes: Seriously, possibly it hasn't changed at all, just their perception, or it happened to be louder than they remembered it (what was in the signal, the acoustics of the room etc could contribute to this). Although the other two fine gentlemen have offered possible explanations :angry: If there was really that much dust inside the amp, maybe have a look at where you store it? If it got too bad you could possibly end up with an electrical fire on your hands, which wouldn't be fun. I tend to use compressed air canisters to blast crap out of my equipment once a year - I've been told not to use vacuum cleaners because they cause static buildups. Further than that, you could drop your manufacturer/reseller a line and ask what they recommend.

I tend to use compressed air canisters to blast crap out of my equipment once a year - I've been told not to use vacuum cleaners because they cause static buildups

You also have to be careful using compressed air in equipment with fans, when you clean the units make sure you hold the fan with your finger or some other method of stopping the compressed air from spinning it. Reason for this is that the fan blown the wrong way will produce current back into the circuits of the unit. If your equipment has no protection against this, it can cause damage.

[snip]Reason for this is that the fan blown the wrong way will produce current back into the circuits of the unit. If your equipment has no protection against this, it can cause damage.

Actually, spinning the fan either way induces back emfs that may not be handled - the voltages can be very large!

Generally, the worst-case scenario is that you let the magic smoke out of the fan driver IC - most fans are brushless motors with integrated control circuitry, so you'll only have to replace the fan.

So hold them still, and blast away. You'll get more dust off the blades if they are still anyway, so it's a win-win situation.

Archived