This year's Glastonbury gripe

This year's sound was much improved. Engineers mostly seemed to have figured out the difference between loud bass and distorted bass.

However, all the main stages look pretty rubbish if you're actually there. Flat, grey and dark. Especially during the day. But if you look at the screens they are vivid and bright.

Is this because the cameras can't handle the contrast if you actually light the bands properly?

Also, once it gets dark, what light there is seems mostly pointed at the audience. Is this also so it looks good on camera?

However, all the main stages look pretty rubbish if you're actually there. Flat, grey and dark. Especially during the day. But if you look at the screens they are vivid and bright.

Is this because the cameras can't handle the contrast if you actually light the bands properly?

I quite often think this about imag screens in daytime. It's hard to get lighting to look like anything in daylight, but by racking the cameras they can make it look better than real life on the screens.

I would suggest it only looks "flat grey and dark" because you have a very vibrant screen picture next to the stage to compare it with. If I am lighting a gig with imag screens I sometimes have to ask the screen guys to turn down the intensity so the screen is the same brightness as the stage, otherwise you end up with all the audience watching the screens, it may as well be on TV.

As for pointing lights into the audience, this is just for effect, lots of light beams coming towards you looks a lot more impressive than lots of light beams pointing at the stage.

If I am lighting a gig with imag screens I sometimes have to ask the screen guys to turn down the intensity so the screen is the same brightness as the stage, otherwise you end up with all the audience watching the screens, it may as well be on TV.

Thats pretty much what I was having to do on PS this weekend.

During the day it was half BBC asking me to drop intensity and half myself trying to catch a glimpse from one of the FOH camera feeds as it was nigh impossible to get out to a position I could see the screens from in order to gauge the difference

Archived