Glastonbury

There can only be one standard. Is the word acceptable, or not. It cannot be both!

The BBC guidelines do actually make a distinction between one version of the word, finishing "er" which is deemed racially offensive, and the version that presumably Kanye was deemed to be using, finishing "a" with "az" as the plural.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

surely that's only for written and not spoken, sung or yelled slightly incoherently in a field...

From what I can remember, the guidelines covered all BBC output. There's quite a bit of leeway for editors depending on the context - a serious academic discussion about race issues will be dealt with differently from a hip hop gig.

........... but at least some schools have NOT started to teach nursery kids baa baa rainbow sheep!

No.

They sing ba baa WHITE sheep.

yes.

Seriously

:(

It's interesting how often this Daily Hate clickbait turns up. Here's a link to the BBC news story..... from 2006.....http://news.bbc.co.u...ion/4782856.stm.

It adds a little thing called context.

I remember a member of the cast banging on my door a few years ago demanding this nursery rhyme was removed from the song sheet because it was racist. It stayed in! The trouble with the nursery rhyme is simply that people are not willing nowadays to take the risk, and say it. This is worse than saying the rhyme. The sad thing though is that this nursery rhyme just gets dropped in favour of others, and nobody knows it happens - so it's stealth edited. You'd be amazed how when you book digs for panto, and the show is snow white, how many people obviously want to ask if you are a dwarf, but just can't. One year in Southend a local radio reporter was obviously having trouble - "isn't it tricky having such a troublesome word in the title" - She wondered if there was some way of meaning 'dwarf' without saying it. One of our guys walked past the office and I called him in. Mike Edmonds - if anyone knows him. He came in and put her right, explained what dwarfism is, and why he isn't a midget, and he told her he was proud to be one of Snow White's dwarfs - because that is what he is. Her face was confused, but she did understand once he explained. He told her that he'd seen once a proposed renaming to Snow White and a huge list of alternatives, including the seven friends of reduced height!

Is the word acceptable, or not. It cannot be both!

Curiously, the BBC thought it was both, on that very broadcast.

While the audio was unfiltered, the subtitles replaced the offending word with "liggas". Repeatedly - it wasn't a single typo.

I assume the subtitles are pre-generated for music broadcast (rather than the erratic speech recognition used e.g. for news), as I can't imagine any typist hearing clearly enough/ keeping up to do it live?

Took me a while to spot that. I had one when I was little, in amongst all the other soft toys that one has. Not a problem back then...

We're only about 50 years behind the rest of the world over here...so I suppose someone will complain in a few years!

Archived