Ally Pally lighting

gafferted

Traditionally, as the liquid evaporated over the course of the show, it was replenished by weeing in the pot.

Not sure I'd want to try that during a show while it was live......

There are stories about pissing into a live pot being a rite-of-passage for apprentices...

My tour was led by Roger Fox who did / is doing all the research into the theatre, and has produced a book (along with his partner in crime Joe Aveline...

Andy, please could you tell me the isbn no. of the book. My tour was the last one on Wed so by the time we finished the show had closed.

Ta Dave

Hi Dave,

I think that was the tour my pal Sarah went on....

It doesn't appear to have an ISBN that I can find - at the back it says "Published by Joe Aveline and Roger Fox" and on the front it says "Researched and compiled by JA and RF for Alexandra Palace and sponsored by The Theatres Trust" - so I suppose either contact Roger direct - probably through ABTT as he is the Show Director, or possibly the FAPT - I think it was them running the stand where the books were on sale.

If you're interested in the history of theatre equipment, do you know that the ABTT library of technical books is held at the Theatres Trust Offices in Charing Cross Road? you can arrange to go and have a bit of a browse if you are up in London... quite interesting as they say on the telly. and they've got an EXTENSIVE archive of Strand magazines and other publications - I know bcause I helped move it all whn they had a big shift round of their offices!

Traditionally, as the liquid evaporated over the course of the show, it was replenished by weeing in the pot. This is why theatre crew used to have to spend all the time they weren't actually doing a scene change or whatever in the pub round the back of the stage door, sadly at their own expense. Now that we have solid state dimmers, there is no need to spend all that time and money in the pub, and beer is no longer tax-deductible. :(

So are you saying that you aren't supposed to urinate in modern electronic dimmers during the show?

That could explain a lot of our current problems, both in terms of dimmer operation and the way it leaves our willies quite numb for a considerable time after urinating on the electrical connections. :unsure:

So are you saying that you aren't supposed to urinate in modern electronic dimmers during the show?

It's all right as long as you follow this advice...

Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.

Peter Venkman: What?

Spengler: Don't cross the streams.

Venkman: Why?

Spengler: It would be bad.

Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?

Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal!

Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Traditionally, as the liquid evaporated over the course of the show, it was replenished by weeing in the pot. This is why theatre crew used to have to spend all the time they weren't actually doing a scene change or whatever in the pub round the back of the stage door, sadly at their own expense. Now that we have solid state dimmers, there is no need to spend all that time and money in the pub, and beer is no longer tax-deductible. :(

That could explain a lot of our current problems, both in terms of dimmer operation and the way it leaves our willies quite numb for a considerable time after urinating on the electrical connections. :unsure:

We really do need a "Like" button for posts :D

Archived