Strength of Box Steel

Hi

Can any of you engineering types point me at where I can fine (or tell me) approximately the point load I can put on the centre of a 2.5m long bit of 50mm x 50mm 2mm thick box mild steel and the same for a 3mm thickness?

This sort of stuff: http://www.parkersteel.co.uk/Matrix/33/Square+Hollow+Section

This is not for structural purposes as such. J

Just need a rough idea before I move forward on a small project.

Thanks

T

Hi

Can any of you engineering types point me at where I can fine (or tell me) approximately the point load I can put on the centre of a 2.5m long bit of 50mm x 50mm 2mm thick box mild steel and the same for a 3mm thickness?

This sort of stuff: http://www.parkerste...+Hollow+Section

This is not for structural purposes as such. J

Just need a rough idea before I move forward on a small project.

Thanks

T

How much deflection is allowable?

I don't mind a bit of deflection as long as its not permanent - i.e. when I remove the load it will return to straight and not be permanently bent.

Beter question I realise now - what about a centre load of around 65kg? The ends would be resting on sports, not clamped/ fixed.

T

I don't mind a bit of deflection as long as its not permanent - i.e. when I remove the load it will return to straight and not be permanently bent.

Beter question I realise now - what about a centre load of around 65kg? The ends would be resting on sports, not clamped/ fixed.

T

The design guide I have only goes down to 50x50x3 as it's done for structural steelwork, but that has a moment capacity of 2.67knm

65kg in the centre of 2.5m is about 0.4knm so no problem whatsoever. I haven't worked out deflection but at 15% of capacity it's going to be minimal.

2mm wall I'd have to work out from first principles to tell you exactly what it will take, but 65kg won't be a problem - I'd guess at the limit being around 200kg

Deflection of 65kg on a span as described would be minimal (we are talking a mm or two based on fag-packet calculations) so from that point of view it's fine, I'd be comfortable (but not ecstatic) with 100kg on that sort of span. Have to chuck in all the usual caveats of planning for what others might decided to use it for in the future and also if it's a semi-permanent situation then building regs would have something to say about margins of error, safety factors and the fact that real world forces rarely act in a straight line when you need them to.

For 2500mm sections, with 650N load, S235 (Mild) Steel

50mm diameter tube, 3mm thick will have a theoretical deflection of 8.7mm

50mm x 50mm x 3mm RHS, will have a theoretical deflection of 5.2mm

Disclaimer: Please use this information with care, I have applied no safety factors nor have any knowledge of your application

Please PM for any other info.

Archived