Senn HD25's

Will_Tech

Hi

I have decided to change from my DT150's to HD25's (not looking for a debate about the decision!). I have made this choice having listened to a few visiting engineers sets - however I cannot remember the model number (HD 25-1 II, HD 25-SP II, etc, etc).

I know this is very much personal preference and environment etc - but I was just interested in what everyone else had?

Name your model...

Will

You need to get the

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

The SP edition has a smaller headband and are not as comfortable, I have also found that they do not sound as good.

Sennheiser do two versions on the HD 25-1 II and I think the basic version does not come with a bag or spare velour earpieces.

There is also the HD 26 but I find then no where near as good and the cable is a mechanically a problem and not as flexible, they are also more difficult to repair and replace earpads.

Cheapest I just found is Juno records: http://www.juno.co.u...CFTLLtAodS1YAuw

Pro version with spare earpads etc: http://www.juno.co.u...plug/286466-01/

P.S they also have some B stock pro ones for £120

I have HD25 ll.'s and they're good. There are many variants, I bought the ones with no case as they were cheaper. Apparently the SP version is inferior with down rated transducers compared with the rest of the range where differences are confined to cable style and impedance.

There are multiple options for the HD 25s (the proper ones, not the SPs) that depend on whether you want 70 or 600 ohm earpieces, straight or curly cable and the length cable required. The most common option chosen, as others have said, seems to be the HD 25-1-II, which is 70 ohms with a 1.5m straight cable and a right-angled jack on it, multiple earpads and a carry bag. There is also a basic version of this without the earpads or bag.

There are multiple options for the HD 25s (the proper ones, not the SPs) that depend on whether you want 70 or 600 ohm earpieces, straight or curly cable and the length cable required. The most common option chosen, as others have said, seems to be the HD 25-1-II, which is 70 ohms with a 1.5m straight cable and a right-angled jack on it, multiple earpads and a carry bag. There is also a basic version of this without the earpads or bag.

Yup, just looked at mine and that's the one I have, without the bag/pads not the HD25 ll I mentioned above http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

I used to go through HD-25 cables like there was no tomorrow (one every 6 months, replaced on warranty mind). Switched to curly cable - my current one's lasted 3 years now!

Cannot agree more how important a curly cable is.

Changed my life.

Cheers,

Peter

+whatever it is on curly cable. Besides reliability, it's a great preserver of sanity.

One thing on the HD25s (and I know you said you don't want a debate) but, depending on your uses, have you worn them for long periods of time while testing?

I love the sound and they're my go to headphones for the "have a quick listen" sort of application. However, probably to do with the small cups and my Dumbo ears, they become very uncomfortable in situations where I have to wear cans for long periods. I'm sure this is a personal thing, but if there's a chance you'll have to wear them for more than a few minutes at a time, do try before you buy.

Hmmmm...I also have Sony 7506 as my "other" headphones, both for comfort and also for use in noisy environments.

However, my HD 25s have the leatherette pads so, thanks for mentioning it. Maybe I should see if I can get some velour pads.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping the OP is happy with his purchase - think he's made the right choice based on my own experience of the same gear a fair few years ago! :)

Just in case anyone else looks at this, my inner perfectionist has one thing to add, that might throw a spanner in the works:

I've found that examples from the more recent bunch of HD25's (last year or two maybe?) tend to have a deeper, bassier sound than those of previous years' manufacture. I suppose I could call it an improvement in extension - when I've been working on material containing analogue synth lines I've found I'm actually *hearing* the lowest notes, compared to previous sets which seemed to tail off a bit on the lowest octave. The characteristic "HD25 bloom" is there, and perhaps amplified as a result.

This is perhaps more pronounced in the HD25 Aluminium/Aluminum edition, which I eventually most recently bought for general use. In the end, I preferred the top-end in the particular set I tried vs the "normal" HD25 alongside in-store. The Aluminium edition had better extension and (to my ear anyway) fewer peaks and troughs in its response, and the metal finish of the cups don't seem to scuff against cables or clothing anywhere near so audibly as the rough plastic of the standard model.

No, I can't get an accurate measurement on the sound statements - and so I accept that perhaps it's all just down to how particular sets sit on my ears, the way the drivers respond to age/abuse, influence due to confirmation bias, or something else entirely. But something useful's going on with the new set when I've used them for real work, so... I'll take what I can get wherever it comes from.

YMMV, of course. :)

Worth just saying that there's always tempation to denegrate the HD25SP when you've had the HD25. The SP version is, I suspect, aimed at DJs who need the SP level rather than anything else. In this application the HD25SP is perfectly suitable and great for putting on and off the head quickly during mixing/choosing records!

Archived